Passon Performance 5-speed

-
Here's an update for y'all:

Jamie called me last week - said my number came up (# 107) so I paid for it. Shipping, fully insured with delivery to my garage door was extra. Looks like things are truly rolling along now. Now it's time to start looking for a block to build. My numbers engine and trans will stay safe in a corner.

I don't recall how long I have been on the list - For the first list, it was years ago, then a few months back Jamie scrubbed the list of who really wanted one vs tire kickers.

Whenever he gets it’s down to a few months and his astronomically high price comes down, I’ll get one.

Last edited:
I agree. $5475 plus shipping, new shifter, etc. Gonna have to keep saving my empty beer cans for a while to afford that.

I agree. $5475 plus shipping, new shifter, etc. Gonna have to keep saving my empty beer cans for a while to afford that.

Lol probably gonna have to start drinking a lot more free beer if you want one in this lifetime

As I understand it, the shifter comes with but there is shipping and return of the shipping crate. Still gonna take quite a few cans.....

Where can I find free beer?
I would p.m. Ben Drinkin on here.
If anybody knows, it's him.
Or, as a different option:
You could come over to my place any time, i always have beer and you would be welcome to have a visit and drink some free beer. And it would be Canadian beer, the good stuff!
And i'll let you keep the cans. They are worth 10 cents each here. And i know the deposit money would be going to a good cause.
You'll have a new tranny in no time at this pace..........

I would p.m. Ben Drinkin on here.
If anybody knows, it's him.
Or, as a different option:
You could come over to my place any time, i always have beer and you would be welcome to have a visit and drink some free beer. And it would be Canadian beer, the good stuff!
And i'll let you keep the cans. They are worth 10 cents each here. And i know the deposit money would be going to a good cause.
You'll have a new tranny in no time at this pace..........
Alberta's a long way from Mass, but thank you for the offer, you never know

I have 5 23 splines in all, 2 overdrives, one of them is in pieces needing re assembly. I'm really looking forward to the 5 speed. I figure I can sell most of my 4 speeds to help with the cost of the Passon unit.[/Q

I have 5 23 splines in all, 2 overdrives, one of them is in pieces needing re assembly. I'm really looking forward to the 5 speed. I figure I can sell most of my 4 speeds to help with the cost of the Passon unit.
looking for 25 tooth gear 23 spline input shaft you have one

looking for 25 tooth gear 23 spline input shaft you have one
I received my A855 last week. On the list for about 3 years. A few months ago Jamie called and asked if i was still interested, i said yes and sent payment. Got it in a couple weeks. She’s a beauty!

640F9C17-2C46-4FFB-96ED-8447F858FDCA.jpeg

Has anyone had gear clashing when shifting gears? What kind of gear lube are you using?

I've had some clashing when shifting into 3rd gear on my A855. I was initially using a 75w90 GL5 gear oil. Then I got a note from Jamie saying to use 75w140 GL5 and after changing I got some clashing going into 2nd and 3rd. ie seemed to be getting worse. (I've got about 5000 miles on the tranny)
After some e-mails back and forth with Passon, Jamie sent me a bottle of Lube Gard ATF Friction Modifier (p/n 61910) to add to the gear lube. I was surprised it was for ATF and after some more e-mails, I was told that they have used this with success to improve gear synchronization.
I also questioned why they specified a 75w140 GL5 lube instead of a GL4 manual transmission lube. (A GL5 lube is usually specified for differentials and has a totally different friction modifier package than a GL4 MT lube.) I was told that the GL5 75w140 performed better behind very high HP engines (ie turbo etc). ie it needed a higher viscosity oil to maintain an oil film between the gears.
My engine is a basically stock 6.1 SRT8 Hemi so I'm going to use a GL4 Manual Transmission lube ( probably Amsoil MTG 75w90: Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 )
I was also told they have changed the synchronizer design a bit as the tranny evolved (I was # 4- a very early one) (Interesting to note that the A855 has carbon fiber blocker rings.)
I was also sent this interesting article of MT gear lube. http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf which confirmed my engineering assessment that I was using the wrong lube.
Now I have to wait until spring!!!!
Jim

Yee-Haa!! Very exciting. Will you be putting it right in a car? Do you know what list number you were? I see he is using wooden crates now, instead of the metal frame which needed to be returned. I'll bet you are looking forward to rowing five.

Unfortunately no. It'll probably be until the end of summer. :( I don't know what number I was, I never bothered to ask. I just had him put me on "the list" 5 years ago, and I got 2 calls from him in the last 6 months telling me I'm gettting closer.

Right now I'm spending my entire car fund I saved over the last year on a 24x24 slab so I can build a small garage. That has to take priority, I'm tired of not having my OWN garage. :). So the car and all the parts have to wait, yet again ;(

Unfortunately no. It'll probably be until the end of summer. :( I don't know what number I was, I never bothered to ask. I just had him put me on "the list" 5 years ago, and I got 2 calls from him in the last 6 months telling me I'm gettting closer.

Right now I'm spending my entire car fund I saved over the last year on a 24x24 slab so I can build a small garage. That has to take priority, I'm tired of not having my OWN garage. :). So the car and all the parts have to wait, yet again ;(

Wow! It took 5 years? That's patience! Did you have to put a deposit down? How did that work? I see that you live in Gilroy. That's a garlic town right? It's so weird, I bought a bottle of Lawry's garlic powder expecting it say made in California or something, and the damn thing is from China.

When you get a chance, you think it's possible to do a video on how it shifts. I mean, going through the gears, especially 5th. I've been curious how that works. Is the shifter mechanism different than say a Hurst?

Hopefully you get your garage built quick so you have more time to install that bad boy.

-
Back