Paxton Supercharger

-

ckj688

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has or knows anything about these superchargers? I know Pro Charger has superchargers as well, anyone heard anything bad about Paxton? I'm looking to get a little more HP out of what I got and was looking at these.

Thanks,
Craig

Paxton has been in the business a long time. Some of the old Studebaker supercharged engines of the late 50s used Paxtons. Others used a similar design by McCulloch. Never heard anything bad about Paxton. I figure they must make a good product to be in the same business all this time.

Back in the 90's I bought an SN93 head unit from them and installed it on my Duster. At that time they offered no support for anything with a carburetor so I had to make everything, brackets, tubing, intake and pulley myself. The car run well with it (11.80's on AV gas), but that head unit ran very hot which caused other problems.

Their new head units are much better, more efficient, run cooler and provide more boost. That said, if you are getting a kit you could do worse than a Paxton. But if you are building everything yourself consider a turbo. As far as fab work the only real difference is making some exhaust piping vs making a bracket. You can buy a turbo for less than a Paxton or Vortech rebuild will cost.

No matter what you decide, check out 21st Century Turbo. The methods, fueling and timing considerations are the same for a boosted motor no matter what does the boosting.

A good friend installed the latest Paxton system on his LA 360 CI.
His motor was putting out about 380-390 horse power before the set-up went on. After he got it installed gains went up about 10%.
He was not happy with the outcome of power and the loss of low end torque.
It also took almost 4K to get the Paxton system and small parts needed for installation.

Check out our club website, www.inlandmoparscarclub.com, to see the Paxton setup we're installing on our 2009 Charity Raffle Project '70 Dart. We haven't fired the engine up yet but plan to soon.
More details to follow after engine start and break-in.

I think Paxton and Vortech are one and the same now, aren't they? I think that's why the newer Paxtons look like Vortechs. Cuz they are?
I do know that the older Paxtons weren't being made when I checked a few years ago. I have one on my 87 Mustang that I bought in 1990 (the Paxton, the Mustang I bought new) and was checking on parts, etc. I did find a company that bought all the old Paxton stuff and was doing repairs.
It's apples and oranges, but my Stang ran 13.90's and 14.0's @ 97mph stock. With just the Paxton, it ran 13.30's @ 106mph. All runs were with stock tires. I still have it on the car.
I think they're great and would run one on my Dart Sport project except that its gonna be all motor.
Noise is relative and subjective, but a buddy put a Pro Charger on his 93 Stang and you can hear a lot of gear noise. Mine's quiet, but again, an older unit. Some guys like the noise, IMO, it's ok for a weekend hot rod. My car was used everyday and I liked it quiet. You can get a lot more boost out of the newer units, the old ones are limited by their design. They won't take the speed different pullies provide. I.E.--"KABOOM"

Yeah, IMO I love the sound of a supercharger, I ran a 13.8 in the 1/4, I would love to run a 13 flat. With a supercharger I would be able to go with 3.55 gears and have room for a bit more rpms but have the power boost to make up for a decent launch. Right now I have 3.91's and I top out at 95mph max at the end of the track but the 0-60 is great.

Paxton and Vortec are seprate companys with Vortec being the better company and charger IMO.

I have delt with Paxton before and they were the most arrogant self absorbed stuff shirts I have ever met in my life. There tech support, or serious lack there off has absoultely zero knowledge on MoPar anything.

No parts to help build of finish anything. I was told outright that they did not have anything MoPar and was told dead outright by several of there phone staff, "Why would we do Mopar anything"

No bullshit.

Go to the "supercharger store" for this endevor. At least there not only MoPar guys, but they do there homework and offer a better setup complete for your application.

I see that - I guess what I was needing to ask was why a custom radiator size was needed for the project?

I have one on my car but he's never built a radiator or have drawings for an "A" body with dual fans. The Paxton pullys do stick out some, so we're going to give him all he needs to build one if he gets the request for an "A" body with or without a Paxton. They do an awsome job on dual fans and you never have to worry about heat again.

As mentioned before Paxton has been at it for years. I have no experience with installing a Paxton, but I have done a couple Vortech, in newer 5.0L Fords (sorry). They are not hard to install, as far as bolting on... But a little more complicated when dealing with sensors and what not with the newer cars, computer tries to adjust everything for you. Mass Air Flow sensor issue, ignition issues, O2 sensor issues, injector issues also. Which they don't tell you when you are buying these "Bolt-on" kits. Not to mention they are designed with stock pulley dia's, so if you don't have stock pulley dia's, then that is a factor as well. But as far as reliability and performance (once it's set right), they were both awesome, if you don't mind the winding sound.

-
Back