Pay someone to restore my Duster?

-

72dart

Mopa
Reaction score
I have limited skills and tools to restore my Duster as a 340 clone so am considering paying a professional to do it. I realize that it will cost somewhere around $30k plus so would I be better off to just buy a new Challenger.In my heart I want to have a nice Duster but it seems to make more sense to just buy a new Challenger. What are your thoughts.

If you are going to spend that much don't build a clone buy the real thing.If you can afford it find one alredy restored.In this economy you can find on someone put 30k+ into for 20k or less.If a Duster is what you really want, buy or restore your Duster.

Wanna be different? build the Duster.
I`ve yet to see many dusters, in my area.
For 30 large you should be able to buy a "real",#`s car, nicely restored, Duster, turn key, and sell what ya got?
I like the new Challys, But, would rather have a sweet 70:thumrigh:
Ultimately your decision. Some really nice cars are up for sale on this site from time to time:clock:

Do you own a good dependable daily driver, and a good, reliable car that you can use for long trips?
Do you drive a newer or modern car, with EFI, and a lot of power options, good handling, modern conveniences, etc?
Have you driven a classic car lately? That can be a completely different, and not always welcomed experience.

Many of us who owned 60's and 70's cars when they were new, and then went back to owning them 30 years later have noticed the vast differences between an efi car and a carb'd car. Between the handling of a 40 year old straight line muscle car and a modern tuned suspension car. There is even a difference in the seating, and the support you get from the seats.
If you're looking for a Hobby car, a classic car or a new muscle car will do, depending on your taste. If you're looking for something that will be your main-kazane will be driven on long vacations with the family, and will offer the most reliability, handling, modern conveniences (power accessories, A/c) low maintenance, and virtually eliminate the need to carry a tool box in the trunk, then you'd probably be happier with a new Challenger. Lord knows there's a lot to like, there, too.

Personally, I couldn't make up my mind, so I have both. No. I don't have a new Challenger. I drive Pick up trucks, by choice. First of all I just fit in them better.
I have a 71 and a 72 Swinger, and a few trucks the newest being a 2010 Crew cab. I chose the truck over the Challenger during my last purchase because it has a bigger trunk. lol

If the money isn't burning a hole in your pocket, don't rush into anything. Weigh both options carefully, and make the decision that's right for you. Whether anyone here agrees with it is irrelevant, it's your money, your choices, your decision.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses. I value your opinions and will mull over all of them but I think I like the idea of selling all I have and then search for a real restored Duster 340 car.

frankie makes some good points.

in my opinion.... if you just want the straight line muscle get the real numbers car, but if you want all the modern things like efi, suspension, power, ac etc. with the look and feel of a muscle car. then get your clone built and have the shop add those things for you in the build. with a 30K budget im sure it would be doable.

but alswo as frankie stated, this is your money and your comfort so do what you want. were just here to offer opinions. ;)

What does your car need? How much stuff do you already have for it? Are you missing a lot of parts? What still needs to be purchased and what work needs to be done? I know that personally, no car I have ever done cost 30K to do.

I can't imagine how much better my car would run if I sunk $30,000 in to it.

These old cars can run pretty darn good, if you use the right carb, maybe depending where you live, keep the intake heat OPEN, not sealed. Yesterday it was just 70 degrees max and off and on rain, drove to the hobby shop, poured rain while I was inside for 30 mins, the sun came back out and dried most the pavement in 5 mins--I love this time of year...car ran flawless and sat for 4 days before that---I run two 500 Carter carbs on a dual plane HEATED intake and fire it with an E-curve dist and a 7 al MSD box and HVC coil--and very good plug wires and NGK racing non resistor plugs--that are 2 seasons old.

A new car will go DOWN in value each year, an old Duster will hold its price or maybe go up--unless you beat on it or hit something.

With the economy in the pits, people are selling their good stuff to raise money. Heck for $30,000 you should have pick off the liter..you can even go on Hotwire and get a one way plane ticket for many big cities for around $150, just book a week early--if you can go mid week. Then just drive the car back, even if it takes 2--3 days with stops, just make sure it doesn't t get stolen.

A "real 340 car" would hold its value more but I would look first on workmanship

What does your car need? How much stuff do you already have for it? Are you missing a lot of parts? What still needs to be purchased and what work needs to be done? I know that personally, no car I have ever done cost 30K to do.
I just sunk $30K into my 65 Coronet vert in body and paint alone, Not by choice, It just kept going then I was at the point of no return. Reason was it was a midwest car with lots of rust. My duster I have less than 20K and it was a CA car, 1% rust. That makes a huge diference.

I can't imagine how much better my car would run if I sunk $30,000 in to it.

A new car will go DOWN in value each year, an old Duster will hold its price or maybe go up--unless you beat on it or hit something.

A "real 340 car" would hold its value more but I would look first on workmanship
The Duster would be an investment, a new car is an expense.

Like has been said above; you can have the pick of the litter for a lot less than $30K for a restored, numbers matching 70 or 71 Duster 340. Post an ad in the cars wanted section and I am sure you will have several to choose from. If restored, make sure you get before, during and after photos and go see and drive the car before you make the final deal. If your budget is $30K, spend some of it on an independent appraisal of the vehicle as it will be money well spent.

Good luck-

If you want a Duster and have a 30k budget, just go buy a restored, real 340 car.

I agree.

I admire the original poster for being realistic with himself and his situation. That is not easy or brave for most people to do.

There are plenty of people in that same situation that put in $20K, realize they are bass akwards moneywise and sell for $10K. And putting 30K into a close 72 340 car will net you a $15K or if you are lucky $20K car. A $30K resto will have to cut some corners.

At least if you want to pay someone to restore a 72 340 car or any A-body, don't do it with a clone.

To answer the question what I have now- 1970 Duster, /6 , 3 speed on the floor. Needs passenger side floor and trunk. Quarters are good. I have a 340 drivetrain but has a 727 trans. I had planned to put a 4-speed in since the hump is there with the 3 speed. I want a hobby to car to drive to shows and around town sometimes. I have talked with Le Hodge at Hodge Mopar Restorations because He is close to me and does awesome work. He seems to be a good guy to work with and I plan to visit his shop in the near future and talk with him in more detail.

To answer the question what I have now- 1970 Duster, /6 , 3 speed on the floor. Needs passenger side floor and trunk. Quarters are good. I have a 340 drivetrain but has a 727 trans. I had planned to put a 4-speed in since the hump is there with the 3 speed. I want a hobby to car to drive to shows and around town sometimes. I have talked with Le Hodge at Hodge Mopar Restorations because He is close to me and does awesome work. He seems to be a good guy to work with and I plan to visit his shop in the near future and talk with him in more detail.

Now this sounds like a good plan ........... Anyone can buy a new challenger but not everyone has the balls, talent, wallet to spend on a 40 year old hot rod. Do the Duster, drive it and enjoy it. my 2 cents

The best part about building it is you can make it like you want it, no "standars" options or unwanted color/interior combinations...DO IT!

heres how it is

your gonna sink 30k into a car and it seems to me by your persona that your gonna drive it and figure out that after you drove it its not what you thought - it doesnt have the mannerisms of your 2005 camry so youll be disappointed - old cars are old cars be forwarned - ive been there - seen tons of buddies who thought they wanted a muscle car until; they actually sunk 10's of $ and figured out #@%^ this sucks
buy the challenger and enjoy yourself

-
Back