PB 727 desirability?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
First this is NOT a "for sale" ad as I don't have these parts yet. But a "what if", "what would it be worth" type thing.
Situation: I have a /6 in a pickup. Has a 727 in it now. I have everything needed to convert it to an 833 OD which I also have.
Another interesting possibility popped up recently.
I have an A500 as well. (early model, "RH" style)
A 63, /6 recently came available near me with said push button 727 bolted up. That means it has the /6 to SB adapter that id need, to put the 500 behind the/6. I d have to buy the whole package to get the adapter plate. And then deal with the "left over" 225 and SB727.
The question being how much call would there be for the PB 727? I would sell it as a rebuild able core since it's not in a vehicle where I could test drive it before separation from the engine.
This would have a SB bell housing pattern. Not looking for this trans to pay for the whole works (though it would be nice haha) if I couldn't get more than "scrap price" for it to someone who was needing such a trans for an older Mopar to somewhat offset what the package would cost me, I won't be able to swing it... my money tree didn't take this year..
I know what I might (or might not) be able to get for the /6 that's bolted to the front of the adapter that I want to harvest from the combo.....
If it matters it's supposedly out of a truck.

I'd be hoping for $100-$125ish, out of the PB 727
Does the FABO crowd think that's doable or crazy?

First this is NOT a "for sale" ad as I don't have these parts yet. But a "what if", "what would it be worth" type thing.
Situation: I have a /6 in a pickup. Has a 727 in it now. I have everything needed to convert it to an 833 OD which I also have.
Another interesting possibility popped up recently.
I have an A500 as well. (early model, "RH" style)
A 63, /6 recently came available near me with said push button 727 bolted up. That means it has the /6 to SB adapter that id need, to put the 500 behind the/6. I d have to buy the whole package to get the adapter plate. And then deal with the "left over" 225 and SB727.
The question being how much call would there be for the PB 727? I would sell it as a rebuild able core since it's not in a vehicle where I could test drive it before separation from the engine.
This would have a SB bell housing pattern. Not looking for this trans to pay for the whole works (though it would be nice haha) if I couldn't get more than "scrap price" for it to someone who was needing such a trans for an older Mopar to somewhat offset what the package would cost me, I won't be able to swing it... my money tree didn't take this year..
I know what I might (or might not) be able to get for the /6 that's bolted to the front of the adapter that I want to harvest from the combo.....
If it matters it's supposedly out of a truck.
Actually wrong. There is a LOT of difference between the PB 727 and the newer 727s. There was an actual pb727 that had a slant 6 bell that came in trucks and heavy cars. There is no “adapter” that you could swap to a non PB 727. The cases are actually quite a bit different. Mostly for the dual pumps.

I'd be hoping for $100-$125ish, out of the PB 727
Does the FABO crowd think that's doable or crazy?
To answer the rest of your question, it’s not gonna have much of a market. Even SB PB727s as cores barely pull that and expect to have to hold it for a LONG time to sell it.

Actually wrong. There is a LOT of difference between the PB 727 and the newer 727s. There was an actual pb727 that had a slant 6 bell that came in trucks and heavy cars. There is no “adapter” that you could swap to a non PB 727. The cases are actually quite a bit different. Mostly for the dual pumps.
Yes I know there are differences between a PB 727 and a non PB version. If it was a newer 727 I have another vehicle here that it would go into.... that's why I'm asking about how hard it would be to get rid of the PB one that's part of this deal.....
The guy had advertised this thing a while back, I asked about if he'd split it up and he said "no", and then the ad disappeared. The ad has since resurfaced, so my interest has been renewed.

Everything I see says they didn't come out with an actual 727 case that bolted to a /6 until 1968-ish and taxi, hd, trucks and vans before that had a 727- /6 combo used a SB trans with an adapter plate sandwiched between.
They also had an "extension " for the crank to make up for the thickness of the spacer on the crankshaft length. Most of these I see the bell housing adapter missing this piece
I've seen talk right here and at other mopar forums about this subject, said adapter plates do come up for sale occasionally, but fewer and farther between......
I've seen them with some crazy asking prices when they do come up.....
In fact I had a handful of "hits" here a while back when I had a "wanted" ad for one, the problem being modern shipping prices that kept me from getting one of those. Now I have a chance to get one sorta local for a "not horrible" price.
I think it may have been @RustyRatRod here that had said that gill welding was working on a clone made of aluminum instead of cast iron...

Last edited:
Not much. I have a PB 727 and would give it to the first person who'd come get it.

Ok thanks. For the record, I'm not expecting to end up with the part of this package that I want out of the deal for free, though it would be nice. I know I could get a few $$ (very, I know haha) for the /6 engine part of the pile but a little better than scrap haha...... so if I could find someone who's want the trans on the back side of the adapter for at least a little better than scrap price, I could justify it.....
Who here hasn't bought a pile of parts to get 1 or 2 things out of the pile and then passed on the remnants.

Ok thanks. For the record, I'm not expecting to end up with the part of this package that I want out of the deal for free, though it would be nice. I know I could get a few $$ (very, I know haha) for the /6 engine part of the pile but a little better than scrap haha...... so if I could find someone who's want the trans on the back side of the adapter for at least a little better than scrap price, I could justify it.....
Who here hasn't bought a pile of parts to get 1 or 2 things out of the pile and then passed on the remnants.
If it’s a true 727 PB, the roaster comb and park spring are more valuable individually Than the entire trans.

some gearing and load rated parts , plus there is no park in the trans , it's a drum on the flange of the output shaft . here is my addition of a park level to my 64 d100 when i pulled the /6 727 out and installed a 383 727 from a 64 car so i could keep my type writter shifter . i'm plaining to build the sbm trans for a blown early hemi project with that type writter type shifter for it .

DSC07548.JPG

DSC07597.JPG

DSC07598.JPG

DSC07067.JPG

DSC09262.JPG

DSC01467.JPG

-
Back