PCV and Valve Breather Question

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
So as I start cleaning up the engine bay of my car, I noticed that their is only a single connection from the valve covers to the carb/intake. While it is hard to see, this first picture shows the only valve connection that comes out of the valve covers and it returns to an inlet at the base of the carburetor (which is a Carter 4 barrel). The yellow hose is the connection.

This second picture shows the other valve cover which as you can see has an oil filler cap and that is it.

Does that mean that the one connection back to the carb base is a PCV valve? Additionally, will this set up work (assuming that is a PCV valve) if it does not have a separate valve breather. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

they put the pcv in the breather, it can't work that way the pcv needs to be in the other valve cover

You can get a breather that will replace the oil fill cap, a twist-in,, and use it as the oil fill as well..

Mopar performance valve covers need to be drilled out. My dad and I just had to do this to my darts 360, I had to add baffles and the PVC I was getting case pressure built up and the motor was spitting oil out of the breather, went on summit racing bought the Mopar performance PVC grommets and a fram Pvc valve. Carefully drilled out the hole in the driver side rear and popped the grommet and PVC valve in and have had no problems since.

So assuming that the yellow hose is connected to a PCV valve, will that not work on the side that it is connected? Could I simply swap the PCV valve to the side where the oil filler cap is now, and then put a simple valve breather on the other side? As I mentioned in my original post, the hose feeds back into an inlet at the base of the carburetor. The engine seems to run fine and I have not noticed any oil blow-by type issues or oil in the air cleaner.

As long as one side has the PCV and the other side has the breather, it will work fine...I have the same set up as you....PCV on the passenger side of the motor and connected to the carb. On the Drivers side I have a breather that replaces my oil fill cap like "inertia" stated

As long as one side has the PCV and the other side has the breather, it will work fine...I have the same set up as you....PCV on the passenger side of the motor and connected to the carb. On the Drivers side I have a breather that replaces my oil fill cap like "inertia" stated

Okay, I will have to check and see if that is actually a PCV valve on that passenger side. I only assume that it is since it is connected to the carb. I will see about getting a breather cap for the driver side. I assume when the engine was rebuilt, it was set up this way to make it easier to get to the oil fill what with the AC lines and all crowding the passenger side.

I have chrome breathers that just push in if inwterested. One plain and one with M on it brand new 20 each shipped.

The setup as you have it is fine AS FAR AS IT GOES. That's a "Ford style" setup, used to be used in the 70's Fords.

What you need now is a breather just like it to replace the oil cap on the opposite side. You can use an open breather, but the "convention" is to plumb an open elbow out of the breather up to the air filter bonnet

"For now" I'm cheating. I'm using two of those breathers with open elbows, and 5/8 hose down to "under the car"

The setup as you have it is fine AS FAR AS IT GOES. That's a "Ford style" setup, used to be used in the 70's Fords.

What you need now is a breather just like it to replace the oil cap on the opposite side. You can use an open breather, but the "convention" is to plumb an open elbow out of the breather up to the air filter bonnet

"For now" I'm cheating. I'm using two of those breathers with open elbows, and 5/8 hose down to "under the car"

Well I have determined that the setup is PCV valve as a combo with a valve cover breather. I am about to install one of the black Mopar air cleaners on my car which I do not believe has an inlet for a second breather hose. Do I need to run another hose or can I just install a a simple valve breather by itself?

If the engine "runs clean" -- not much blowby, I'd try it with an open breather.

-
Back