PCV CONVERSION

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
HEY...I saw a thread before that explained how to add a PCV to a pre-63 slant six...any help in finding it? Thanks.

How about the valve cover.......does it have the two pipe type fittings on the top? If so, it would just be a matter of getting the PCV valve holder, the valve, and the proper breather if you don't already have one. I would also convert over to the closed crankcase system, which would require an air cleaner with the hose nipple, along with the valve cover breather with the hose connection, and the hose to connect the two, of course. I have new metal PCV valves if you need one.

How about the valve cover.......does it have the two pipe type fittings on the top? If so, it would just be a matter of getting the PCV valve holder, the valve, and the proper breather if you don't already have one. I would also convert over to the closed crankcase system, which would require an air cleaner with the hose nipple, along with the valve cover breather with the hose connection, and the hose to connect the two, of course. I have new metal PCV valves if you need one.
Hi. Thanks for the help. Attached is the valve cover. Slantsixdan says he has a PCV too. He says 170s are different...I think he said all I need is the PCV stuck into the valve cover and hose to the carb...

my valve cover.jpg

For a low-rpm engine, that first type system will be fine.
The closed type offers two advantages;
1) it replaces the breather which has to be periodically cleaned with a different sealed oil separator, and a hose to the air cleaner, where it gets filtered air. and
2) the harder the engine works, the more blow-by gasses are created. There comes a point where your engine may be working harder than that system can keep up with, and some of the gasses will run backwards thru your system and puke dirty vapors plus oil all over the valve cover. The closed system will reroute clean excess vapors, mostly just dry gasses now, up the hose into the airhorn to join whatever other air is getting inhaled.

Another problem with the first system is, nobody remembers to periodically clean the breather, so it loads up with dirt, and collects liquid oil, the oil attracts the dirt, which then gets sucked into the engine.

Last edited:
Looks like a later valve cover. Is there a grommet under the breather cap or a pipe? This setup will work fine, you'll just have to remember that it's a later setup when getting parts for it. The PCV valve will just push into the existing grommet. For a closed crankcase, you'll need the later breather with the hose connection, and a later air cleaner to match, or, if you want, add a hose nipple to your existing air cleaner. I'd tap into it where the air intake for the breather will be filtered air.

So could I adapt this type breather filter to my air filter? Just cut a hole and clip it on...

air filter breather.jpg

breather filter.jpg

Looks like a later valve cover. Is there a grommet under the breather cap or a pipe? This setup will work fine, you'll just have to remember that it's a later setup when getting parts for it. The PCV valve will just push into the existing grommet. For a closed crankcase, you'll need the later breather with the hose connection, and a later air cleaner to match, or, if you want, add a hose nipple to your existing air cleaner. I'd tap into it where the air intake for the breather will be filtered air.
Breather like this?

breather.jpg

Sure, if you don't mind having a GM type part on your Mopar, and don't mind having to buy another one periodically when it gets dirty. If you tap into a filtered area, you won't have to do that. The existing air filter will take care of it. A lot will depend on which air cleaner assy. you're using. Some have room for the GM filter, some don't. Those early slant 6 air cleaners can be pretty tight on space.

Dont see why not. 62 should have had a draft tube, right? The pcv valve will have a very slight vacuum leak at idle so you may have to turn your idle down a little and possibly jet change. Slansixdan may have more info on this but pcv valves rarely seal up perfectly at high vacuum idle as its just a shuttle valve sucking into a stamped steel circle port.

You should only need to readjust the idle mixture screws and set the idle RPM.

Mine is a 64 so it already had a PCV valve, but I added a later air cleaner with the nipple for the hose that runs to a later oil fill cap with a corresponding nipple so it has a complete PCV with the crankcase evacuation too.

Sure, if you don't mind having a GM type part on your Mopar, and don't mind having to buy another one periodically when it gets dirty. If you tap into a filtered area, you won't have to do that. The existing air filter will take care of it. A lot will depend on which air cleaner assy. you're using. Some have room for the GM filter, some don't. Those early slant 6 air cleaners can be pretty tight on space.
Thanks. My air filter is the original 62 that is pretty much a base and lid sandwich open about 66% on the sides.what should I look for?

Thanks. My air filter is the original 62 that is pretty much a base and lid sandwich open about 66% on the sides.what should I look for?
I'd look for a late 60's one that has the fitting.

My silly 2cents.
Depending on engine condition.
Rather have ventilation go thru carb/Intake if possible. Not get oil on air filter.
So you can still drive car .......

-
Back