PCV Valve Loose.

-

Jomba

Reaction score
Got me a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda 273 Commando that I have just got running and idling BUT not starting without starting fluid. I have done the following to it: fuel pump, spark plugs, fuel filter. This all being stated, here are a few questions I need answering.
1. I have noticed that the part of the Valve Cover where the PCV Valve connects is all loose (see photo). Not sure how this is supposed to connect or what parts are needed to remedy this issue.
2. The Distributor Cap was loose when I acquired the car so I may need to do a timing on it. What should my idle RPMs be and idle Vaccum be on the dash?
3. It has a full tank of 18 year old gas in it, it runs and drives on this stuff but it feels gutless on acceleration. Is the sluggishness due to the fuel or just a combination of all this?
My main concern is the 1st question as of right now because it may effect a any Vacuum readings.
I'm excited to hear from this awesome community on my project issues. Thank you in response to anyone who responds.

20230827_170250.jpg

Welcome to the site .
You can tighten the nut visible to tighten the pcv, and the whole cap should slide down further on the oil filler tube .
The " rattle" is not uncommon .

Welcome to the site .
You can tighten the nut visible to tighten the pcv, and the whole cap should slide down further on the oil filler tube .
The " rattle" is not uncommon .
Thanks for the reply...the cap is not on straight (it is stuck...need to get it loose) but the oil filler tube is the rattling part...it is not secure in place in the Valve cover.Cover. you can see the wear on it here in this new photo (we are replacing the gaskets).

20230827_182939.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back