Pcv ??

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I eliminated my PCV valve but kept my breathers. Im wondering how many of you are actually running a PCV? Are they required? Pros/Cons

They are required by U.S. Federal law, but nobody enforces it unless there is some sort of smog enforcement in your area of your state.

I would run one. It helps keep smell, oil mist out of the engine bay.

By introducing vacuum to the crankcase, they also promote better ring sealing. I never eliminate them.

I never did understand why people remove the PCV system on a typical street engine.

You aren't getting anything out of the removal but you are losing the benefits of having a functioning PCV system.

Kind of like the guys that remove their thermostat because "Drag Cars" don't run one.

The benefits of having it far outweigh not having it.

I think some people confuse them with the old egr valves. I run pvc's. If it rattles, it is good.

Blow-by gases mainly consist of contaminants such as hydrocarbons (unburned fuel), carbon dioxide or water vapor, all of which are harmful to the engine crankcase. The quantity of blow-by gas in the crankcase can be several times that of the concentration of hydrocarbons in the intake manifold. Simply venting these gases to the atmosphere increases air pollution. Although, trapping the blow-by gases in the crankcase allows the contaminants to condense out of air and accumulate therein over time. Condensed contaminants form corrosive acids and sludge in the interior of the crankcase that dilutes the lubricating oil. This decreases the ability of the oil to lubricate the cylinder and crankshaft. Degraded oil that fails to properly lubricate the crankcase components (e.g. the crankshaft and connecting rods) can be a factor in poor engine performance. Inadequate crankcase lubrication contributes to unnecessary wear on the piston rings which simultaneously reduces the quality of the seal between the combustion chamber and the crankcase. As the engine ages, the gaps between the piston rings and cylinder walls increase resulting in larger quantities of blow-by gases entering the crankcase. Too much blow-by gases entering the crankcase can cause power loss and even engine failure. Moreover, condensed water in the blow-by gases can cause engine parts to rust. Hence, crankcase ventilation systems were developed to remedy the existence of blow-by gases in the crankcase. In general, crankcase ventilation systems expel blow-by gases out of a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve and into the intake manifold to be reburned.

A plugged pcv valve can cause lots of problems; you should chek it periodically to make sure it is functioning, but don't remove it or eliminate it. The vacuum assist of the valve will help to get rid of unwanted water vapor.

Do they make a pcv out of pvc? That would be cool....

There is no reason not to use one on a street driven engine. It also adds a little oil mist to the top of the rings, helping to reduce cylinder wear.

So, what valve covers do you have, and what's the dia. of the hole you're trying to put the pcv valve in?

So, what valve covers do you have, and what's the dia. of the hole you're trying to put the pcv valve in?

I have a set of M/T valve covers with a 1.5" ID hole. I found a 1.5" grommet with a 1" hole for a breather. Just nothing for the 3/4" PCV

My motor was built without one and there is no bung on the carb to hook one up to so I run 2 breathers , if it was a problem I'm sure Brian { ou812} would have set my motor up differently , he knew it was a street car and would be seeing a lot of highway miles . I would be interested to hear more about other evac systems

-
Back