Peeling clearcoat

-

gerty

Reaction score
The clearcoat is peeling off the trunk lid of my wife's Stratus. I"ve painted a couple of cars in the past with great results but it's been 25 years and I have no experience with the clearcoat finishes on todays cars. I plan on just using Dupont acrylic enamel with hardner as that is what I used in the old days. She took the car to a body shop and the estimate was $500. So I said I could borrow a spray gun and do it for a lot less and she said "show me!" My questions are;
Should I just sand it down to the base paint and respray? What grits of sandpaper should I use? Should I use a sealer before painting with the Dupont?
Bob

Bob,
There have been a bunch of changes in paint technology in the past 25 years, even in the past 5 years. I don't know about your area, but around here you can't even buy Dupont Centari acrylic enamel any more. Most acrylic enamel I've seen must be catalized now or it won't harden. Depending on the color of your car you may not even be able to get a mix in anything but bc/cc. Anyway, most paints now recommend using a sealer and 600 grit wet is the recommended paper for final sand.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

Thanks for the advise. I forgot to say black was the color. I think the paint stores here still have acrlyic enamal. I called them a couple of days ago asking if they filled spray bombs with automotive paint and they said they could fill them using acrlyic enamel. My nephew was needing the spray cans in Mopar colors for models. I may have to do some research and start learning new paint tricks. Or maybe get some rustoleum and rollers like the guys over on moparts are doing. lol
Bob

You can probably paint black with single stage and get by with it. It might look a little different than the original but it will be close. I'm sure it will look better than the peeling paint. Just make sure you use the recommended reducer and hardner.
Dallas
missourimopar.com

Thanks, It dosen't have to be great looking just good enough to get her through the next few months. She is wanting to buy a Caliber or an Avenger this fall.
Bob

-
Back