People on Ebay piss me off

-
reminds me of a the ta that went on ebay for i believe over 2k and it was totaled someone just wanted the fender tag, i mean the car was gone, literly :wack:

i got a plate from a 73 340 duster i sold years back. if any one can prove they have the car the plate is theirs, but selling only add's one more clone

Selling the tag and broadcast sheet when you still have the car and even admit it. Why not just put the vin up there too.

Does anyone think its worth while to complain to ebay?

That's a bunch of B.S.!!!!!! Ebay has rules about things like that. One guy had to remove the VIN from a dash he was selling because the car wasn't with it. Ithink I'm going to complain. If it's a clone call it what it is and enjoy the **** out of it, but don't try to screw people over.

Noone's screwing anyone. He's selling some parts. It's up to the owner to decide what they're doing with it, and with 17 bids already, there's no shortage of people that seem to want it!

You might change your VIN and fender tag, but your rad support/firewall and other places will tell the truth. It's up to a car buyer to know what he's buying.

anyhow, I don't know about down in the US, but up here in Canada (Ontario anyway) VIN swapping is BIG business with new cars. Go to any car auction and completely wrecked late model cars go for big big money. People are buying the VIN then putting it on a stolen car and so far nobody has been able to stop the racket!

I don't know about the auctions my Grandfather and Uncle used to buy writeoffs at auction to repair them and sell them after an inspection. Of course they had to say it was a write off to the buyer they also had to get licenced to even by the writeoffs. Least in Alberta no one in Alberta can just buy it.

I still think I'll send e-bay a message. Least if they stop this its one place to make this sort of thing easier

I agree with 65s. If you start to prohibit the sale of certain parts because they MAY be used for illigitimate reasons, where do you stop. My car has a replacement wiper motor off another Dart....OH MY!! That makes me just as guilty, like pretty much everyone on here. Yep, no difference.
People put too much stock in these numbers deals anyway. And I love clones too. They feed the aftermarket, and allow us to buy, and build cars cheaper.

I must agree with that as well. Can't judge a book by its cover and assume that someone is trying to make a clone legit even though thats probably what is happening in this case. The whole #'s matching thing is getting out of control, too many Barrett Jackson watching IMHO.

It wouldnt be a numbers matching car but mostly I feel bad for the guy out to buy his first car the ends up with this thing. You might say buyer beware but its just not a good thing for the car hobby in my opinion.

You say to much Barret Jackson but I'm sure you love the fact that the value on your car is higher then its ever been before. I've been screwed over on things when I first started into this hobby even with trying to do as much homework as possible and the fact he says he's selling "other things" from the car and to contact him makes you curious just how hard it'd be to get the VIN from him.

If you wern't worried about numbers matching why bother about putting a fender tag on? much less a build sheet. A wiper motor is differant than showing a car ( with a document) as being something that it is not, even changing from 2-3spd isn't a problem because it isn't altering the cars value in a major way. If you want to alter a car the way you want it's your business, but don't try to "SCREW" others who mabe just getting in to the hobby... that will only ruin it for everyone, after all who wants to continue doing something after they just started and are already feeling like every one is all about making money even at someone elses expense.
Just my two (or maybe three) cents.

are you kidding me!! $205 and it ain't over yet... I should of been a tin knocker..

I complained to e-bay but you cant even send them anything on why your bitching. Oh well guess its sort of what's to be expected now-a-days.

71Duster said:
It wouldnt be a numbers matching car but mostly I feel bad for the guy out to buy his first car the ends up with this thing. You might say buyer beware but its just not a good thing for the car hobby in my opinion.

You say to much Barret Jackson but I'm sure you love the fact that the value on your car is higher then its ever been before. I've been screwed over on things when I first started into this hobby even with trying to do as much homework as possible and the fact he says he's selling "other things" from the car and to contact him makes you curious just how hard it'd be to get the VIN from him.

It's a body code tag, which doesn't have the vin # on it, so if I had a 72 duster 340 that was orange, with a black interior, and black stripe and matched everything else that this car had (Chrysler did make more than 1 of these in 72) and I needed this tag to complete the build because mine rotted off and fell on the highway 10 years ago, you would say that is wrong? Saying we all know what parts like this will do in the add as well as listing other things does suggest the wrong idea, I agree, but I still think it shouldn't be freakin illegal! As for protecting me and the proverbial innocent I know nothing new buyers...If someone is really looking at a numbers matching car the numbers they would have to put up to purchase such a car would be pretty high. I would think that someone putting up that much money on that type of purchase would FIND someone that was well informed like some of us here for instance, to properly identify things for them. As for the value of my car going up I honestly could care less because I would never sell it anyway. I put too much into it and enjoy it to sell so I guess you could say I'm more realistic with my investments and don't play the car game like alot of people.

$285 and 3 days left. Man I have been looking for the wrong parts to pick up at the wrecking yard. I should have been buying up fender tags.

1972Dart is there really nothing on a tag to tie it to a particular car?

340mopar said:
$285 and 3 days left. Man I have been looking for the wrong parts to pick up at the wrecking yard. I should have been buying up fender tags.

1972Dart is there really nothing on a tag to tie it to a particular car?

Sequence #, order #, date built, are the only shady areas here. Everything else involves trim packages, paint, and set up of the car etc. So an honest #'s matching FENDER tag should have the proper sequence #, order #, date and where it came off the line. But to more accurately answer your question, No, there really isn't anything on a fender tag to tie it to a particular car thus the problem with people who clone and then try to pass it off as #'s matching etc when it could have come off the line with a slant 6 not the 340 it has in it now. But these things are pretty easy to notice if you do even the slightest bit of snooping. Here's a good site to check out for those who want to decode their vender tag or learn the placement of trim, paint, etc on the tags. http://www.stockmopar.com/reference/decoding-1969-1974-fender-tag-overview.html

340 mopar, how's that tunnel ram working out for you? I am thinking about changing over but don't know anyone running it. I'd appreciate any input you have, thanX.

firewall, door, and frame rails look great! Just a little overpaid maybe

Sequential VIN doesn't tie it to a particular car? Not sure how that reasons. I don't think it should be illegal I just think its kinda dirty and shadey. But to each there own.

My only complaint was if it wasn't so available on e-bay it might not happen so often. Its just an accessability thing.

-
Back