Performance indicator help

-

Mupoo

Reaction score
Gidday people, I have a 69 Barracuda & it currently has a blank in the dash, so I have bought a Performance Indicator to fill it. After I had it delivered from USA to Australia I checked it by sucking on the hose connector & the gauge didn't move. I then tried it on the intake manifold (car running of course) & it still didn't work. I have taken the hose connector off and there looks like a screw head that blocks any pathway into the gauge - Is this supposed to be there? The seller told me it was working when it was removed & has returned my payment but I'm trying to see if I can get it working - any assistance would be a help.

It's just a vacuum gauge.
The screw inside is probably to calibrate it.
You could try to 'tap' on it litely and see if the needle moves, to make sure the mechanism is free.

I've tapped it, drowned it in Silicon spray to try lube it - I physically can't see how the gauge even gets the vacuum to be registered

If its port has been plugged , the bulb is probably cracked and leaking vacuum.
The gauge is calibrated by altering a bend of a horse shoe shaped link in it movement.

Thanks - I didn't think that it was right with the screw in there - made no sense, especially with the previous owner saying "but it was working when I had it". I'll try drill it out (won't move with screw driver) If it still don't work, buy another

Put a tach in it instead if you can't get the gauge working. The tach is better option to have anyway.

Attacked it with a drill - gave it a hard time - now it works. Needed a hole drilled through the screw/bolt that someone got in there. Gauge works and holds the vacuum with no leaks..........go figure.

Put a tach in it instead if you can't get the gauge working. The tach is better option to have anyway.

you think ?
Try to get anywhere near this much info from a tach.
The stock electrical tachs were sluggish in response too.

Attachments

• vacuum.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 253
-
Back