Performance

-
Well it's a misleading statement, explain the whole theory or just don't say anything..
Now some idiot is going to read what you posted and think it applies to every comp change...
Just post this in the future:

View attachment 1715933568

I got that book too, that can be your job, if you don’t like someone vague answer you feel free to explain into any great detail. My “about 4%” gave more info then your wrong reply did.

I got that book too, that can be your job, if you don’t like someone vague answer you feel free to explain into any great detail. My “about 4%” gave more info then your wrong reply did.
The actual raise in performance is a variable. While it’s easy to state a certain percentage, I normally say 3% since that’s about all one would get out of there particular build which would be a mello build, the return differences are build dependent and since there are so many variables to super similar builds, you can generalize but not nail down an exacting number.

As said earlier, there’s a lot more power in going from 7.8-1 to 8.8-1. Also, the reason many people push the octane limits in compression is to keep the cam from creating a lazy bottom end. Though it’s inky one part of a few that can help or hinder low end performance, it’s a big one with the wrong camshaft. Even more so crappy when your on the street where low end torque is needed most.

Sure! You can hide, mask and crutch a low compression engine with high rear gear, high stall converters, lightening up the car, but it still is crappy because there is no efficiency do to the low compression. It also shows up on the top end but not feel as bad.

Not breaking balls here ….

Your MP 360/380 is actually a good example since it is a 9.0-1 engine and the roller cam is 230/236 (I forget) on the intake. Not only low on compression but that single plane kills it for the street but yet, YET! Fellas have taken ilthat engine into the low 12’s.

All I hear from you on that engine is complaints.
Low compression, single plane, heavy car, low stall, very wrong gear set & tire size, the list goes on….

The drag racers I met with the create engine have everything opposite than what you have and they did like it a lot. Lightened car, high gears and stall, great suspension, slicks and skinnies, etc…

Thats how to make the low compression engine work but it’s not what most people want to do to there street, street/strip car.

Not gloating, but here’s a different take with higher compression.

My wife’s 360 is just under 11.5-1, runs a 224@050 Hyd roller cam, RPM intake, TF heads, runs on 93 octane, has a 2500 stall (yea it could use more… I know) 3.55’s turning 26X10 Mikey’s flame threads.

Stomp the gas and rubber burns and lays stripes easily for 50+ feet. Then hooks and books. Heck, a set of 4.10’s and I’ll lay rubber for a 100 plus feet for fun.

Those guys sometimes close the intake valve early and narrow lsa's too.
You guys have explained to me about ivc, also on how to figure it out. If I'm understanding things correctly the stock 318 cam has 55* ivc and the 340 cam has 69* ivc, wouldn't closing the intake valve later lower the stock compression more? I don't mean to be a pain but how can the 340 cam wake up the 318 if it does lower the cr? I enjoy learning what I can. Wanting to build a engine going by pure stock rules but having a little work done to the cylinder heads.

The chart in post #22 comes from David Vizard.
What can be seen is that the HP increase gets less as CR increases.
8 to 10 is a 2 point increase in CR, but gives more HP than 10 to 12.

So you're just too lazy to give a precise answer ??
Ok I got it..
Nice to know I'll pick up 4% when I go from 15:1 to 16:1.

Ok I got it..

At least I tried for the OP, sorry not up to your standards, I'm sure your 10 post of gibberish was helpful to the OP.

The actual raise in performance is a variable. While it’s easy to state a certain percentage, I normally say 3% since that’s about all one would get out of there particular build which would be a mello build, the return differences are build dependent and since there are so many variables to super similar builds, you can generalize but not nail down an exacting number.

As said earlier, there’s a lot more power in going from 7.8-1 to 8.8-1. Also, the reason many people push the octane limits in compression is to keep the cam from creating a lazy bottom end. Though it’s inky one part of a few that can help or hinder low end performance, it’s a big one with the wrong camshaft. Even more so crappy when your on the street where low end torque is needed most.

Sure! You can hide, mask and crutch a low compression engine with high rear gear, high stall converters, lightening up the car, but it still is crappy because there is no efficiency do to the low compression. It also shows up on the top end but not feel as bad.

Not breaking balls here ….

Your MP 360/380 is actually a good example since it is a 9.0-1 engine and the roller cam is 230/236 (I forget) on the intake. Not only low on compression but that single plane kills it for the street but yet, YET! Fellas have taken ilthat engine into the low 12’s.

All I hear from you on that engine is complaints.
Low compression, single plane, heavy car, low stall, very wrong gear set & tire size, the list goes on….

The drag racers I met with the create engine have everything opposite than what you have and they did like it a lot. Lightened car, high gears and stall, great suspension, slicks and skinnies, etc…

Thats how to make the low compression engine work but it’s not what most people want to do to there street, street/strip car.

Not gloating, but here’s a different take with higher compression.

My wife’s 360 is just under 11.5-1, runs a 224@050 Hyd roller cam, RPM intake, TF heads, runs on 93 octane, has a 2500 stall (yea it could use more… I know) 3.55’s turning 26X10 Mikey’s flame threads.

Stomp the gas and rubber burns and lays stripes easily for 50+ feet. Then hooks and books. Heck, a set of 4.10’s and I’ll lay rubber for a 100 plus feet for fun.

Bought a China airgap and mild roller cam, would like to do the intake separately to see how much that improved low end by itself.

You guys have explained to me about ivc, also on how to figure it out. If I'm understanding things correctly the stock 318 cam has 55* ivc and the 340 cam has 69* ivc, wouldn't closing the intake valve later lower the stock compression more? I don't mean to be a pain but how can the 340 cam wake up the 318 if it does lower the cr? I enjoy learning what I can. Wanting to build a engine going by pure stock rules but having a little work done to the cylinder heads.

I'm sure some would say it wouldn't, seen AJ make that argument a million times, compression is one aspect a bigger cam can increase VE%, 340 cam may have less dynamic Cr but it could be compressing more air for a more overall psi. Plus more air more fuel more power.

PS ask as many questions as you need that's what this forum is for.

Because the cam is getting more air and fuel into the engine. In the 340 cams case vs the OEM 318 cam, it is a lot of air and fuel.
Bought a China airgap and mild roller cam, would like to do the intake separately to see how much that improved low end by itself.
Your going to like the dual plane.
:thumbsup:

This looks like a very touchy subject.
Only when you split hairs and break balls.

What's the name of the Chinese airgap? Is it that much cheaper than edelbrock's American made airgap? Last I heard edelbrock was still manufacturing their cylinder heads and intake manifolds in California.

I have one on my sons truck. It’s perfect for the build and duties at hand.

How's the quality of the machine work? I seen that the crosswind is about $150 less than a edelbrock
I’ll say the casting inside the runner was a little ruff. The runners are more narrow than a RPM. Ports were uniform at there exit at the head.
The exterior was nice. Nothing looking like a second rate POS. The bolt holes lined up well. This is on a uncut deck 360. They mated to the Edelbrock heads without any issues. A standard Fel-Pro gasket was used. I don’t remember the part number, sorry.

Since the intake is dual drilled, the included hammer in, interference fit plugs were a good tight fit. The intake was also packaged with Allen head plugs that took care of the extra drilled and tapped holes. Everything screwed in well. No drama.

Overall, a decent part and the price was right.

If your looking for a maximum return for best power results, use the Edelbrock RPM series intake.

I've used two so far, and I have another new one in the box. Both times I've bolted one on (one LA 318, another 360 mag) it's been a good experience.

Ok I got it..
4% is the general gain with a point of compression. Layman's terms.
Gotta have some compression to achieve 220 psi cranking compression. :D

My customers love it when I talk in "averages"..and other vague comments..

Customers! UGH!

Retirement …. YEAAAAAAA!!!!!!
I'd like to, but people just keep bringing me stuff to fix! Apparently there are a lot of mechanics out there with no brains, so they bring stuff to me because I have at least, half a brain..

Nothing like making money on that stuff.
Did that for years myself.

-
Back