performer intake question

-

volaredon

Reaction score
More of a verification question. I think I know the answer.

I have an original Performer I want to use on a 318. I also want to run a TQ on it. (which I also have) I've run AFBs/Edelbrocks on them, that have their own built in electric chokes on these intakes before. (with a spread bore to square bore adapter)
This intake has the choke stove pocket, as all of the stock cast iron Mopar intakes did/// if I'm thinking right, I can run the TQ directly on the Performer intake/ and use the factory style choke stove that bolts to the intake? With what base gasket? (I know they make different thicknesses, makes a difference for the "reach" of the choke rod.)

(I do have an "aftermarket" TQ 9000 series that has the black dial electric choke like the AFBs and Edelbrocks with electric choke did, in case the answer is "no")
I gotta compare that to my "stock" TQ's (I have 2, both were OE on 80 truck 360s, same carb number as each other/// both redone by Demon Sizzler and been in the attic since) to see if the 9000 is the same size carb as the other 2 that I have..... If I can't use the stock carbs, I plan to use the 9000 if it'll work.

In case anyone asks this is for a 3 season daily driver. VERY mild cam upgrade, 302 heads, lean burn delete, true duals off the manifolds, otherwise stone stock 56k mile engine. not looking for anything crazy. and no I will NOT Ditch it for a 360... the only things "360" about it will be the cam// and (if I run it) one of these TQs I have here..... otherwise the 318 stays!

I want to use a TQ on this car because I have had so much problem with percolation when I shut off a hot engine with an all aluminum carb..... and I hate Holleys

wow, demon sizzler... there's a name i haven't heard in a long, long time.

anyway, i *think* you'll be fine with the standard 5/16" (or whatever it is) composite gasket in that the performer isn't or doesn't appear to be any taller. i have a stock 318 4V intake i can measure against it to compare.

personally, i'd probably use the 9000 series "super quad" with the electric choke. they're basically designed for that application.

re: your fuel problem, is there any reason that the under hood temps are so high as to be a problem? i've run the afb & performer combo for close to 30 years under every imaginable situation and environment and never had a problem.

I've run diplomats with afb's minus the 3cats that were originally a part of those cars mm and I've run them on Dodge trucks, and the last of those trucks which was a 3/4:ton that got used more like a 2 ton medium duty, and that was the only one of the bunch that I didn't have those issues on. None ever showed signs of being anywhere close to overheat, my 75 cordoba was probably the worst with those issues.
And yeah I know that there are/ were probably 25 gazillion of them in use, on all brands, and that wouldn't have been, if everyone had those issues. I mean they ran great for me, biggest problem I had was hot engine restarts.
Go to the store in the summer, shut them down, when I went to restart 10 minutes later it would only happen with the pedal floored. Leave em run, or wait for engine to get cold and they were great. I do have a few afb's here too. One 500 which was my other choice for this car,
and at least a couple of 600/625 models.

Engine is in a 2 door 78 b body fury.
Next mod after the cam and manifold/ carb swap will be to dump the 2.76s for either 3.08 or 3.23s..... maybe pull the 3.23s out of the d150 and put them in the fury and then 3.55-3.73ish into the truck

Comments:
- if you are going to use a composite gasket under the carb that is more than 1/4" thick, I would make sure it is either a 2 or 4 hole, NOT open. I have never found these necessary with the TQ for heat reduction, & we have days here regularly in summer of 100*f or higher.
- if your 9000 series carb is a 98XX model that has an elec choke, I am pretty sure that all the reqd linkages can be swapped over to the production model. It would be better to use a production TQ with an engine that is close to stock.
- congrats on selecting the best 4bbl carb.

Comments:
- if you are going to use a composite gasket under the carb that is more than 1/4" thick, I would make sure it is either a 2 or 4 hole, NOT open
do you have an example of the 2 hole style?

i'm familiar with the 4 hole and this style:

s-l1600-1.jpg

Sorry, no example. Essentially like the open one in the pic, with a front to rear divider.

Sorry, no example. Essentially like the open one in the pic, with a front to rear divider.
thanks for clarifying, i thought so but wasn't 100%

i can't ever recall seeing such a piece, may have to revisit the archaic box of gaskets stashed away in the shed...

-
Back