Pertronix and Richporter Distributor Issues

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
:banghead: I have a problem with the Richporter distributor I modified. I locked it to 20 degree mechanical. Put the Pertronix II I had and fired it up. Then I get noise from the distributor cap. The rotor hits the cap. I tried three different caps. Pulled it apart and discovered the rotor sets .08 higher in the Richporter distributor than the old Chrysler distributor. I'll be ordering a a replacement under warranty. Here is the lesson learned with Pertronix and distributors....Put the Pertronix rotor on an spin the shaft before you modify. I meant .08..

Anyone else have or know of this issue?

:banghead: I have a problem with the Richporter distributor I modified. I locked it to 20 degree mechanical. Put the Pertronix II I had and fired it up. Then I get noise from the distributor cap. The rotor hits the cap. I tried three different caps. Pulled it apart and discovered the rotor sets .08 higher in the Richporter distributor than the old Chrysler distributor. I'll be ordering a a replacement under warranty. Here is the lesson learned with Pertronix and distributors....Put the Pertronix rotor on an spin the shaft before you modify. I meant .08..

Anyone else have or know of this issue?

Pertronix comes with its own rotor. The magnetic ring that slides over the shaft is about the thickness you describe! If you use a different one you need to file the bottom of the rotor enough to clear. I had to file a small amount off the top of the shaft too. At least that is what I did. No issues after that!

Please clarify! I'm sure it makes sense to you because you fixed yours. I'm using the Pertronix rotor. Use a different one what? File top of distributor shaft? Bottom side of Pertronix rotor where it drops into the magnetic ring?

-
Back