Pertronix...Did I do it right ?

-

bargeahead

Wishicouldre member
Reaction score
Installed the pointless ignition ( 1381A ) and Flame Thrower coil today. Directions says to eliminate the resistor so made a double male spade jumper wire to take the place of resistor. Hot wire to + on coil in addition to red + from Pertronix unit and black - from Pertronix to neg - on coil. The reason I'm asking is after a little running it was hard to start and acting like when the system was burning out coils due to a bad ignition switch. It was borderline overheating when hard to start ( overheating addressed tomorrow ). THX

PERTRONIX has a technical division .. go on there sight and post any question you have... it may take a day for a reply but they will reply ... I am not sure what Pertronix system you are installing if it is 1, 2, 3, ... but i think i asked this question before and they stated to me ... you only need a resistor with the pertronix 1 system ... but again post any question to them .

Address the overheating first. That could well be the hard start problem. As for the Pertronix system, if you followed the deestruckshuns, you did it right.

THX guys; shroud for electric fan is under construction now re overheating.

the hard to start may be over advanced timing,,,it is cranking slow? try retarding it a tad

the hard to start may be over advanced timing,,,it is cranking slow? try retarding it a tad

Timing is advanced 5 degrees. I put the resistor back in the circuit; even mounted on the fender it was getting too hot. Working on the overheat now. THX fstfish66

put the same in my 66 273 cuda....did as the DESTructions said....no issues. BUT...its kind of hard to start when shes been runnin awhile....but the engine does need to be rebuilt too.

Aloha Mike

only 5 degrees,, isnt an issue,,find your over heating problem,, it may start easy

-
Back