PerTronix Ignitor I vs PerTronix Ignitor II

-

Soren

Reaction score
So, I am thinking about getting a PerTronix ignition for the '63 Dart GT. It has the 225.
Summit Racing has both the Ignitor I (1361A) and Ignitor II (91361A) listed (https://www.summitracing.com/search...963/make/dodge/model/dart?N=400428+4294926252).
What really is the difference between the two? Is it worth the extra $42 to get the Ignitor II? I am going to guess that with either, I am also going to have to upgrade the coil, wires, plugs and distributor cap?

Igniter 1 uses factory coil and ballast, 2 uses 12v coil and deletes ballast. I'm running ignitor 2 on my 68 coronet.

Worth it. As mentioned, Ignitor II is more modern and thus doesn't need a ballast resistor. It is more akin to GM's HEI module. The Mopar equivalent was inside the "spark computer" box in 1980's vehicles. Some here say the original Ignitor can be run w/o ballast if you use a better Pertronix coil. Perhaps, but could be tricky to insure. Ignitor III is even better with multi-spark and rev limiter. With II or III, you should get a better e-core coil. To stay Mopar, you could use one from a Magnum V-6 or V-8 engine (late 1990's). GM's 85-95 "external coil" is similar, as is Ford's TFI coil, but both are harder to wire (when not using their module). Can also buy an inexpensive Chinese one on ebay ~$20 (Steve White Performance, ...) or pay a lot for a yellow or red after-market one.

-
Back