Pertronix Ignitor III vs Mopar Electronic vs something else

-

SheSaid

Mopar/Jeep Guy
Reaction score
So I am in an ignition quandary and was looking for some FABO knowledge.
I am in the process of putting together a 1969 340 stock stroke motor. I am shooting for 400-450 hp that I can spin at 7k and make it look as stock as possible. I have do not have unlimited funds so I am looking to save when I can.

I do not have the original dual point cast distributor. This was my late father’s first car he bought in 76 so I may find the original dizzy but as of right now it is MIA.

Option #1

Stock single point distributor plus Pertronix Ignitor III and coil with Mr. Gasket re curving springs.

View attachment 751-71381A.jpg

+ I could do the whole set up for a little over $200.
+ Eliminates points.
+ Stock Appearance
+ Rev Limiter
+ No More Ballast

- Quality of stock distributor

- Appearance is not quite the same as the “original” dual point unit
- Chance the mechanical curve might not perform as well as aftermarket distributor

Option #2

Mopar Electronic Unit with Chrome box

View attachment mopar_chrome_ignition_module_small.jpg

+ Could piece the system together for slightly less than Pertronix route
+ Proven performance over 6k rpm
+ Availability
+ Looks typical for a Mopar

- Has a history of overheating

- Still have to use ballast
- 1969 never had “the box” will not look exactly right

Option #3

Who knows? Fill in the blank… Just not a bright red MSD system that costs over $500… that would be too easy.

View attachment 0901phr_14_z+mopar_318_magnum_engine+msd_pro_billet_distributor.jpg

The MP conversion setup with new distributor and orange box will probably do what you need. The big issue with the Pertronix is the worn out points distributor you put it in. Assume any points distributor is pretty worn out by now. By the time you replace the shaft bushing and add an adjustable vacuum advance, you might as well buy the MP unit.

petronix is two wires... plug and go... had one im my slant and wish they made the III for it, wouldn't have gone MSD otherwise... rev limiter is a must have...

The guy I am working with has a slingshot front engine dragster with a 440. He runs the original Petronix 1. Oh and it runs 7s in the 1320. So they must work pretty well.

The guy I am working with has a slingshot front engine dragster with a 440. He runs the original Petronix 1. Oh and it runs 7s in the 1320. So they must work pretty well.

What distributor is he using? Wow that just sounds so cool. :cheers:

So I went with my gut and choose the Pertronix Ignitor III stuffed into a stock distributor.

View attachment 2012-03-24 14.59.14.jpg

I am very pleased with the unit after install. I just put it together tonight and will put it away until the rest of the 340 build is complete.

Here is the costs:
Rebuilt Cardone Distributor $32.29 Advanced Auto
Ignitor III $121.99 Jegs
Flame Thrower III $41.99 Jegs
Tan Dist Cap $12.99 Jegs
Mr Gasket Springs $ 5.99 Jegs
Backup Ballast Resistor $0.00 Priceless
Total $215.25

I really wanted a stock looking appearance I was hoping to imitate the stock dual point Prestolite distributor like below:

View attachment IMG_2286.jpg

I ended up with this:

View attachment 2012-03-24 18.57.34.jpg

Not a bad look-a-like. Any savvy Mopar guru could spot the difference but I am hoping to be going so fast no one will have a chance to see!!!

Interesting the stock advance plate was stamped with "9" meaning 18* of mechanical advance.

View attachment 2012-03-24 16.24.16.jpg

I measured it and sure enough its right on. Great even better. No welding, No Filing, No worries. I should be able to runaround 18* of timing at idle and be in the 36* mark at full advance.

View attachment 2012-03-24 16.21.09.jpg

I don't know how in heck you lucked out with that deal. Do yourself a favor though. Now that you've bought ONE Pertronix, buy a second one and stick it in the trunk for a spare.

I'm running an Accel "factory look alike" breakerless dist. with a GM HEI module, and I have one hell of a lot less money into it that you do yours.

Congrats on your purchase,looks like a good setup.
As long as your happy with it,that's all that matters,regardless of the cost.

But really the setup is still cheaper than running the typical Mopar Electronic with Chrome Box and coil. Plus I have a rev limiter. Looks stock.

I don't know how in heck you lucked out with that deal. Do yourself a favor though. Now that you've bought ONE Pertronix, buy a second one and stick it in the trunk for a spare.

I'm running an Accel "factory look alike" breakerless dist. with a GM HEI module, and I have one hell of a lot less money into it that you do yours.

The HEI conversion looks like an interesting swap I may have to try some time down the road on another project.

-
Back