Pertronix II/ MSD SS

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
Hi Moper Fans.

Is anyone currently and sucessfully running a Pert IGN II with a MSD SS coil? No other components. The primary resistance needs are very close .6 (P) to .35 (MSD). Throwing this into my /6 with a halifaxhops Mopar dizzy. Pertronix Tech would not say and MSD literature says electronic IGn is compatible. Please no lectures or otherwise redirecting the question/answer please.

Thanks,
Marion

So, to make sure, a Pertronix Ignitor II 91361A?
I looked at the instructions and they say "can be used w/most ignition coils rated at .6 ohms or greater. I expect if you go lower than that, then you will risk overloading/burning out your ignitor II.
Your MSD coil comes in at .35 ohms of resistance?? I wouldn't do it! Your Ignitor may end up lasting weeks/months!
I would suggest a mid-nineties Ford TFI coil--the stock Ford ones read out at .7 ohms.

David

Agree with David. Is it the Blaster 8207 coil you have? They are 0.355 ohms on the pri.

I read the spec sheets and saw that value. I measured the resistance again this morning and it was around .5/.6 on the SS coil. I stuck it in and it is running great. The plan is to reinstall the MSD 6AL2 that came with the car. But was toying with the idea of no box and keep the engine compartment clear. The table in the Pertronix II handout say's .6 to 3.5 ohms. They say any low resistance 12v coil will work. With the halifaxhops mopar e-distributor/IGN II/MSD coil, the motor is running much improved over the stock points setup and pulls to redline nicely. Hopefully it will last. I couldn't see shelling out another 80-100 dollars for their matched coil when I have 2 here. After a 1/2 hour run all seems cool at the coil and dist cap. Lets see how it goes. So far so good.

Marion

So, to make sure, a Pertronix Ignitor II 91361A?
I looked at the instructions and they say "can be used w/most ignition coils rated at .6 ohms or greater. I expect if you go lower than that, then you will risk overloading/burning out your ignitor II.
Your MSD coil comes in at .35 ohms of resistance?? I wouldn't do it! Your Ignitor may end up lasting weeks/months!
I would suggest a mid-nineties Ford TFI coil--the stock Ford ones read out at .7 ohms.

David
Yes thats the model.

I read the spec sheets and saw that value. I measured the resistance again this morning and it was around .5/.6 on the SS coil. I stuck it in and it is running great. The plan is to reinstall the MSD 6AL2 that came with the car. But was toying with the idea of no box and keep the engine compartment clear. The table in the Pertronix II handout say's .6 to 3.5 ohms. They say any low resistance 12v coil will work. With the halifaxhops mopar e-distributor/IGN II/MSD coil, the motor is running much improved over the stock points setup and pulls to redline nicely. Hopefully it will last. I couldn't see shelling out another 80-100 dollars for their matched coil when I have 2 here. After a 1/2 hour run all seems cool at the coil and dist cap. Lets see how it goes. So far so good.

Marion
First--glad your /6 is running.

On my Dart, I run an Ignitor 1 in a points distributor, and it triggers an MSD 6AL that I mounted in the interior of the car--it does not have to be under the hood. I prefer to use an Ignitor as a triggering device and use a good ignition box to drive whatever coil I want. This eliminates any limitations from the ignitor and gives me broader choices for coils.

"The table in the Pertronix II handout say's .6 to 3.5 ohms. They say any low resistance 12v coil will work. ". ----In this quote, I would place more emphasis on the specifics provided. It sounds like your coil is just on the underside of the bottom of their spec. You will probably be fine, but I personally would feel like I'm trying my luck over the long run. Just my thought...

David

Using a standard DVM to measure low resistance gives misleading readings. I have a special Ultra Low Ohm meter that is specifically made for sub 1 ohm readings.

If MSD says the coil res is 0.355 ohms, you better believe it. Same with what Pert says.
You could use the MSD coil with their CD box, but risky with the Pert module.

-
Back