Pertronix part

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Been away for a while. We bought a boat, and the cars went on the back burner for a while. I went to drive my 67 Dart, and I guess it missed me and was throwing a tantrum.

After I got it up to speed, it started to do something strange. I would say it is lunging, but it is more like a hesitation. As long as I am at cruising pace, it is constant and occurs at one second intervals. Hesitation, go, hesitation, go....

I have eliminated the fuel pump as the issue. And I am going to do a compression test tomorrow.

The previous owner installed a Pertronix unit, and I broke a piece off when I was checking the distributor. I have included a picture. You can see where there is a big piece and a small piece broken off. I used JB Weld to fix the big piece that I broke, but there is no trace of the small piece.

So here is my question: could that little piece have done anything to make the car stutter? And my real question is what in the heck does that thing do? It looks like the spaces are for a signal to pass through to create the spark. If that is the case, I am guessing it could have had some effect.

Thanks for any help.

It is fubar.

In the digital control world of ones and zeros, it has lost some, and extended the timing of others. Time for a new shutter wheel.

In my humble opinion, the design is not good to begin with for a shutter wheel. Timing variations due to run-out are likely magnified by the skewed nature of the apertures.

Last edited:
Thanks. So my original problem was the small piece missing from the stutter wheel. Funny that is the name for it since it makes my car stutter.

I will be looking for another one of those.

-
Back