Petronix?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
For some reason no one on the other sites can give me an answer on this. Is the petroix unit that replaces the points in say a 56 olds distributer just a electronic eye like the old Accel unit and in that casxe I still have to run a control box like an HEI unit or is it an all in one unit that just needs power?

yes it is a direct replacement for points, everything is under the dist. cap. it is a magnetic pickup not an optical sensor.

I plan to pull my pertronix converted dist out of my 225 slant six and sell it if your interested (that is if its going in one of your /6's). Its got maybe 10 miles on it and a new gear.

LOL because im board so im planning to do the HEI conversion. No joke it only has about 15 miles on it with a new cap, rotor, dist gear, and petronix kit. Ive had no problems with this setup but like I said im just board and like to tinker with my car. My new dist should be in tomorrow but dont know when I will get it installed (started snowing today).

Nate

yes it is a direct replacement for points, everything is under the dist. cap. it is a magnetic pickup not an optical sensor.

I run a Pertronix flamethrower billet distributor in my Challenger. Installed it over a year ago and haven't had any issues. It runs the same pertronix module as the replacement type stuff, just in a new distributor body. Also used their coil, as it has an internal ballast and allows you to get rid of the stock ballast bolted to the firewall. Very clean, easy install, no boxes or extra stuff to add.

I assume your '56 Olds is running a 12v system?

It's a magnetic trigger system, not an IR LED sender/receiver with shutter wheel. You get a plastic collar with inset magnets, one per cylinder. This collar slides down over the point cam. The magnetic switch trigger goes in place of the breaker points. There is no external module or other component required.

Had a petronix in my car , worked well , just changed it for parts availability , the mopar electronic is easier to get parts for IF it breaks . Other than that it was in the car for 3 years with no problems .

I use a pertronix unit in my 67 428 Bonneville vert, it is the hall effect one and it has performed flawlessly for the past 5 years.....I would not hesitate to buy another one...keeps the original look and performs as good as, if not better than points.
hope this helps

I put a kit in my neighbors' 68 Galaxie vert a few years ago and it works great. I sent a dual point for my 66 273 to them a few weeks ago and they found a kit they didn't have an application for. They were great to deal with. toolman

I'm sold! I will double check the numbers on my distributer when I get home tomorrow and order the kit. I found one on Ebay that has the coil and wires included for $146.

Thanks guys!

I believe they make a Petronix III that has a built in rev limiter and milti spark capability. Has anyone tried this new version yet?

A previous version ( before I bought the Pertronix) had the rev limiter.....didn't work well at all, died, choked.....big recall.... big POS!! tossed it out and used regular everyday Pertronix...works just peachy and does not cost arm & leg
Point being if you are running that high of RPMs you should not be using a stock dizzy with a magnetic pick up or a hall effect....hence the rev limiter for the avg street car is little more than a gimmick

Thats what I was thinking when I saw it on ebay, overkill for a street driven pretty much stock 324 Olds motor.

For some reason no one on the other sites can give me an answer on this. Is the petroix unit that replaces the points in say a 56 olds distributer just a electronic eye like the old Accel unit and in that casxe I still have to run a control box like an HEI unit or is it an all in one unit that just needs power?

well why did you even ask on other sites ?

lol jk

Because It's not a mopar and I figured since it an Oldsmobile the guys over on classicoldsmobile.com would know.......yeah, not so much.

lol i was just pullin your leg haha but i think most of us here prefer mopars but we also enjoy just about anny make lol

i know when i have questions i come here first just cause i like the crowd here and i dont have to waite 2 weeks for a reply :p

I plan to pull my pertronix converted dist out of my 225 slant six and sell it if your interested (that is if its going in one of your /6's). Its got maybe 10 miles on it and a new gear.

I have been mulling over a Petronix. What would you consider on the whole setup? would you just sell the petronix set up? Did you have to run a Ballast between the cap and coil or no?

I dont know when Ill get around to pulling it. Its about 20 deg out and my new distributor still hasnt come in yet. If I sell it id go for around $50 complete. I left the ballast in place and just wired up to the pos and neg of the coil.

JR the Pertronix ignitions seem to be decent. I've installed several of them in place of points and they all worked great. Nice thing is they don't need a control box. Just pull the points and slap the Pertronix module and magnetic wheel in and hook up the 2 wires to your stock coil and go.

-
Back