petty blue

-

lilhows340

Reaction score
May have something new on the b3 blue. My 73 Scamp is originally petty blue. When I had it apart it is the same color under plugs inside fender. Went to carquest order b3 to paint engine bay and it was a little darker. I painted it anyway. Paint was basin street blue. I have since found good steel fenders for the car wanted to just paint them and not whole car need to finish Demon first. Carquest scanned the car and came up empty. Read all forums I could find and most ended up b3 blue. Talked with Carquest manager about it,he managed a mopar parts depo for 20 years, finally suggested I try another paint store also owned by them but they sell dupont. They scanned the car and also came up with b3 blue. So they mixed some up just to see and we compared to car and it seems to match so I purchased enough to paint the fenders funny thing was when I checked the can later it was labeled b3 super blue. Don't know if that made the difference or not maybe chrysler changed the color over time and still called it b3 or its just a fluke.

'72-'73 B3 was called either Super Blue or Basin Street Blue depending whether it was on a Plymouth or Dodge. I forget which was which. Most people refer to that color as Petty Blue since it resembles the Petty Blue that was a special order option on some earlier years, even though Mopar didn't call it by that name in '72-'73. Actual Petty Blue was first used in 1966, I believe, and was a special order option (very rare) until 1970 or so. I don't even know if you could get it every year but I suppose it was possible. I think actual Petty Blue used a 4-digit color code. B3 in earlier and later years was a light metallic blue, not a solid color as in '72-'73.
Hope this helps,
Dallas
BTW, '72-'73 B3 faded badly so that's likely why your new paint appeared darker than the original. I forgot to take a pic of this after I pulled the masking off but you can tell the old paint on the door is quite a bit lighter than the quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_6334.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 391
TB-3 is the basin street blue (AKA: super blue)
Petty blue was a similar color that used a 999 paint code to get it painted that way. the two colors are different. Some cars were ordered with the petty blue eventhough the
TB3 was available. (due to the popularity of Petty back then). You have to remember that just because the paint is lighter/darker, that does not mean thet the color is different per say. Colors often varied widely back in the day when your car was assembled. They did not clean out the paint "vats" totally when a color was switched. they did the best they could but invariably, the previous colors would infiltrate the next color to a certain small amount. So, if the prev. batch of cars were painted white, then your TB-3 paint possibly could have ended up with a lighter tone. that is why profesional paint matchers have a range to work with in the specific color on the color chart. the best way to mactchit would be to go to an actual autobody supply. (more money I know).

-
Back