"phantom" style grill?

-

connerray

Reaction score
Hello all, got a 70 duster that's in the works.
I'm looking for in sight on a grill setup. I have always loved the way the old charger grills looked. the "hidin " headlights just looks killer to me. Has any one attempted any style of "phantom" grill? (That's what iv know them to be called on old 80's Chevy pickups.) To hide the head lights to give it the empty look up front.
Thanks

I got rid of my turn signal buckets, but left the headlights.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000258.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 682
Hello all, got a 70 duster that's in the works.
I'm looking for in sight on a grill setup. I have always loved the way the old charger grills looked. the "hidin " headlights just looks killer to me. Has any one attempted any style of "phantom" grill? (That's what iv know them to be called on old 80's Chevy pickups.) To hide the head lights to give it the empty look up front.
Thanks

There is a guy around my home that put a charger grille with the hide away headlights....sorry I don't have a picture of it, but its a pro street Bright yellow Duster. Very cool looking. hope this helps

There is a guy around my home that put a charger grille with the hide away headlights....sorry I don't have a picture of it, but its a pro street Bright yellow Duster. Very cool looking. hope this helps

That let's me know its possible :) now someone that has done it needs to chime in and lend a hand with parts needed and some of the o so fine details...

Ha. Round here, its the sign that your *** gona get pulled over.

I wish they would enforce that here,...Cops can't be bothered up there,.Sometimes I feel like I'm driving the last vehicles that were optioned with Turn Signals...

I wish they would enforce that here,...Cops can't be bothered up there,.Sometimes I feel like I'm driving the last vehicles that were optioned with Turn Signals...
There always looking to make that dollar down here. Are population is 9-10k people and we have a state police HQ and the city police. So there always thick

Conray,
they come in two flavors DOT and blue.
Andrew

Attachments

• Turn Signal amber.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 600
  • Turn Signal Blue.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 596
Good Idea I have Been Thinking The Same Thing About My Dart Sport I wasThinking About Chopping Up APhantom Grill From A 94 S10 If I Can Ever Find OnE I Can Measure To See If The Diminsions Are Close To What I need

Please don't chop up a hidaway headlight charger grill unless it is for a 1970 then I don't care cause that's the ugliest of the 2nd gen charger and the 3rd gen grilles are hard to find too

That's some nice fab work blue missile!

Thanks guys,
Conner, I wont hijack your thread, and If you can see it in your minds eye, its your car do what pleases you.
the rest of the tale is...
At the touch of one of the switches in the cockpit, all of the DOT lighting goes to blue and the red tail lights are replaced by blue ones. However the regular red brake lights still function.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo176.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 519
  • Photo175.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 562
Missile, I love your set up, but I'm looking to do "hide away" head lights. Your blinker setup would work for the blinkers but I still need to find a way to make the head lights disappear.

Please don't chop up a hidaway headlight charger grill unless it is for a 1970 then I don't care cause that's the ugliest of the 2nd gen charger and the 3rd gen grilles are hard to find too

If its a "rare" grill, and hard to find its probably out of my budget. So dont wory about that one

There is a local customized Duster around here that has a complete grille from a 72-73 Charger grafted into it. I saw it again at a Mopar show in June but didn't get any pix because I've seen it over the last 5 years or so and frankly, I didn't like the look. But it's been done before.

I may have to make something from some flat stock. Can't justify big $$ for somthing that is just for looks.

At the touch of one of the switches in the cockpit, all of the DOT lighting goes to blue and the red tail lights are replaced by blue ones.

Don't be flashing those blue lights here in California or you'll find yourself sitting on the side of the road talking to one of our law enforcement officers in no time. They'll be explaining that blue lights are only for emergency vehicles.
My son got pulled over last year for having some blue bulbs lighting his license plate. Funny thing is, the same thing happened to me on my very first car over 40 years ago. Like father, like son I guess. LOL. My first car was a '64 Olds F-85 - I remember telling the City of Montebello PD officer that it must have been overspray on the bulb from when the car was painted. Yeah, that was my story way back then. Actually, it was translucent candy blue model paint. All the cop said was, "Fix it!"

There is a local guy with a 67 Satelite Convertible(I know not an a-body)with a Charger hideaway headlight grill, but he also used Dodge fenders, if I remember right.

-
Back