Photos of FACTORY 69 Barracuda side stripe with engine call out?

-

cgfen

Reaction score
Hi.
We are in the process of installing side stripes from Phoenix graphics.
They need a bit more cutting / trimming than I anticipated.
Please post images (or point me to some) that show;
  • area around door handle / key hole
  • front edge of front fender, trying to see how far forward the strip should go before I trim.
  • rear edge or rear quarter, trying to see how far back the strip should go before I trim.

Sample photo from our project here.

thanks

Craig
Stripe Test 2.JPG

Is the black and white the stripe or is there a boarder around the decal that might be forcing the decal down.

Is the black and white the stripe or is there a boarder around the decal that might be forcing the decal down.

Hi,
The black = the stripe.
The white = the backing paper, stripe is not yet applied.

Without any OEM photos i would center the stripe circular opening on the key lock. And go from there

I thought the stripes were folded/continued into the car. On the door rolled around to the inside of the panel.

Alan

On the door rolled around to the inside of the panel
Nay that's the Dukes of Hazzard version stripe, "we don't know nothing 'bout opening no stinkin' doors"

I think the excess is overlapped and will be wrapped when applied, he is only mocking up right now.

Hi.
  • front edge of front fender, trying to see how far forward the strip should go before I trim.
  • rear edge or rear quarter, trying to see how far back the strip should go before I trim.

thanks

Craig
View attachment 1715504054
The stripe is folded into the door edges

s-l1000.jpg

Hi.

thanks

Craig

6657248-1969-plymouth-barracuda-340-formula-s-4-speed-coupe-std-c_LI.jpg

Thanks for this.
Obviously the Phoenix graphics stripe does not emulate the MOPAR stripe around the door handle.

how do I make a sad face?
You need to see an original factory installed graphic.
Sales brochures are known to have cars with preproduction details that were different that what was actually done.

Alan

I would call Phoenix and tell them the stripe is not correct and see if they would correct it.

Thanks for this.
Obviously the Phoenix graphics stripe does not emulate the MOPAR stripe around the door handle.

Quite honestly, there has been some discussion on FABO somewhere about these less than desirable replications and they aren't cheap.

You need to see an original factory installed graphic.
Sales brochures are known to have cars with preproduction details that were different that what was actually done.

Alan
I just showed one. No one wants an unfinished looking stripe and all of my cars have had taped stripes.

Hi.

thanks

Craig
Just an fyi, that door appears to be down some. You may want to correct if possible BEFORE you permanently mount those stripes.

A56 caught it, the door is down about 3/16 of an inch. You might want to check the hinges on both sides & possibly get with MoparLeo about some reworked hinges.

FAXON publishing 1967 to 1969 Dodge & plymouth Body & Electrical Assembly Manual Page 435 has your answers.

In the drawing on that page it shows the hole for the lock with a 0.02" spacing around the lock gasket. It also shows the rear edge of the top strip by the rear of the door handle having a curve to it like the front top stripe by the front of the door handle.

For the life of me I don't understand why reproduction companies don't get the little stuff right. the info is out there and for stuff like graphics it is a change to a CAD drawing and a cut pattern.

Last edited:
This isnt the 1st time I have heard about Phoenix Graphics decals not being oem/factory correct.
Good catch on the door George!
Thanks for this.

I would call Phoenix and tell them the stripe is not correct and see if they would correct it.

Quite honestly, there has been some discussion on FABO somewhere about these less than desirable replications and they aren't cheap.

This isnt the 1st time I have heard about Phoenix Graphics decals not being oem/factory correct.
Good catch on the door George!
lol, Yep, we all know that similar cars have varying degrees of differences but damn, the length of car parts aren't off enough to make a stripe that short.

Thanks for the feedback.
I agree that the PHX graphic is not the same as the image posted by A56.
Ironically, my wife showed me that we have a similar image that I'll post.
and
Thanks for the tip re. door hanging.
I've spoken with Chris @ PHX, he seems easy to work with and eager to please.
The challenge is that perhaps ALL of their 'Cuda side stripe kits don't match factory sale literature.

Someone above said it's not unlikely that even OEM tape kits don't match sales literature.

Pressing on.

Thank you

PS, there is a set of the Kelsey Hayes wheels currently F/S on BaT.

15x6" Kelsey-Hayes W23 Road Wheels

factory 383 stripes.jpg

I had purchased a complete stripe set from Phoenix Graphs that was advertised as a factory reproduction. I had NOS Mopar stripes that I had purchased in the early '80's but didn't trust the adhesive. There were several issues that were incorrect with the Phoenix decals. I contacted them and they offered to make me a new set if they could borrow my originals for a pattern. I did not accept their offer because I thought that they should have been correct from the start.
I purchased new decals from Performance Car Graphics and they were exact. I would recommend their products without reservation. I'm sure that you could trim the decals that you have from Phoenix. I just wanted to give you my history with the company.

Performance Car Graphics PCG performancecargraphics.com

Thanks for the feedback.
and
The challenge is that perhaps ALL of their 'Cuda side stripe kits don't match factory sale literature.

Someone above said it's not unlikely that even OEM tape kits don't match sales literature.

Pressing on.

Thank you

View attachment 1715515416
Do not confuse the "cuda" stripe set with what you have. Terminology being everything in this case.

Thanks for the feedback.
and

Pressing on.

Thank you

View attachment 1715515416
FYI- Those KH wheels listed are for 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, original to B bodies.

Last edited:
You cannot use factory sales literature to determine correctness, these cars were cobbled together and may include details that do not match production.
The stripe on the car in the brochure was probably painted on and was probably changed for production reasons.

The best way to determine correctness are original unrestored cars.

Until I see both the Phoenix graphic and an original on a car (and not the brochure), I would hold off jumping on the Phoenix is wrong bandwagon.

Alan

-
Back