Photos - Project Update - The Wife's Swinger is Getting Close...

-

ACME A12

It's all ball bearings nowadays...
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago someone started a thread about Christmas Mopar presents and I replied by noting that I got nothing and the wife hit the Mother Lode. I promised to post a few pics when I got a chance. Well, today the weather was beautiful (my insincere apologies to those of you that choose to live where Hot-Rodding is a sometimes of the year hobby - just kidding of course!!!), although a little cool; nevertheless I coerced the wife into flogging the Swinger for a few miles. So, while we had it out I snapped a few photos. It still has a few nit-noi details to be worked out (there's less than 25 miles on it since the new stroked small-block and updated tranny were installed) but it is getting close... So here's a few photos to update the crew at FABO. The interior wasn't cleaned up prior to the photos so it's not at its best and I haven't touched up the dash where we nicked it up putting in the heater/air conditioning unit (note to self: next time - put that in BEFORE bolting in the dash...or at least somehow protect the dash...) but you'll get the idea. Just to recap - it was bought to be a parts fetcher and I gave it to the wife and one thing led to another... It still has the original 318 block with over 250K+ miles (no misprint - try that with a thin-wall 302 phord!) with a Scat 4.00" crank and forged KB pistons swinging on stock 340 rods. Mildly worked 2.02" "J" heads with a Comp XE268H & 1.6 Crane roller rockers and a Performer RPM intake. Sanden conversion provided by Classic Auto Air. Mildly built 904 with a GER Thunderbolt J converter. Factory equipped 8.75" (it was an ordered car and came with the HD suspension) with 3.23 SG. Legendary provided most of the interior components. Auto Instruments did the fabulous rework on the gauges/instrument panel (out of a '71 Duster - I didn't like the Dart dash...) and AmSafe (modern day incarnation of American Safety - the original supplier to Ma Mopar before they went exclusively to aviation - I have a friend there...) redid the seatbelts. The paint & bodywork was done by J&J Autobody in Pinellas Park, FL (they currently have Gary Sheffield's new Lamborghini in there for some updates if that gives you any idea of the kind of work that they can do - but they sometimes give us little guys a break...) - Thanks Cornell!!! And the engine and the rest of the car was bolted together by yours truly. The last photo is a gratuitous shot of the four-legged children guarding Mama's car. Hope you guys like it.

Ray

Pic163.jpg

Pic164.jpg

Pic165.jpg

Pic166.jpg

Pic168.jpg

That is super sharp! Looks like it just came off the line. Wait... they were never that straight from the factory;)

Great job:thumbup:

Your GSDs make me miss mine:( We just had to put her down a couple months ago.

Thanks for the kind words, Rick. It's my Sweetie's pride & joy - which makes it hard to get her to drive it; she's terrified some blue hair on a mission to get to the "early bird special" or some teen driving while on a cell phone will plow into her and reduce it to scrap metal. Nevertheless, I keep telling her it isn't a museum piece and has to be driven.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your GSD. Anyone that's ever had the privilige of enjoying the company of a GSD knows there's something extremely special about these majestic animals.

take care,
Ray

YEP,some pretty nice dogs there. That green car looks ok too, how did you get it to sit still for the pics?

Very nice.The paint is beautiful.
Well done.
I must say,you have some cahones to let the wife drive it.lol

VERY Beautiful car. Very nicely done, you should be proud of it.

Though, I do have to ask.. where did you ever find those Seat Belts and Buckles? I can't find my all-chrome/polished seat belts for my barracuda for the life of me. Only able to find the black ones so far.

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the positive comments. To respond to your queries/comments:

3404speed: That's a good question! I guess the Swinger is also well trained...LOL

JohnnyDart: It really is her car so there's no "letting" her drive it. I've got a garage full of toys and making sure that she has one she enjoys let's me keep the "toybox" activity at the level (or close anyway - who am I kidding? LOL) that I like for it to be. Kind of fun to drag one of the Dusters out and have her leading/following along in the Swinger on a nice afternoon ride - lots of admiring stares as the pair roll by... By the way, this is the car that I was teasing you about painting the grill for me if you recall. As you can see, I ended up taking your advice and painting it like yours - Thanks for the nudge in that direction!

Krazed: As I mentioned in the original post the belts & buckles were provided by AmSafe, which is the company that makes most of the belts used on commercial passenger aircraft today. They used to be American Safety, which is the name most likely printed on the tags on your original belts. Because I work in the aviation industry I knew their history and happen to be friends with their Director of Sales for North America. I asked him about reworking the belts in Tammy's Swinger (they were in TERRIBLE shape) and he had me send them to one of their factories. They were so far gone (buckles included) that they asked me if I wouldn't prefer just to go with one of their newer aviation buckle offerings - so I chose a combo with both polished and brushed aluminum. I don't think that they're looking to get back into automotive market however...I can check with my buddy if you'd like. Just send me a PM if you want to further investigate this.

Thanks again to all of you for your kind comments on the car (and dogs!).

Ray

Congratulations Ray!! That sure is a show stopper and your three friends
are beautiful too. Your wife must be very happy with the swinger.
Job well dun!!

Awsome, Love that color !

Good luck with the GER converter though. Never heard a good story about them.

I honestly don't know which caught my eye more, the Dart or the Dogs!!!!!!!!!

Great pictures you posted.... That Dart is beautiful! The hounds ain't too shabby either!

Awsome, Love that color !

Good luck with the GER converter though. Never heard a good story about them.

Hey Adam:

Thanks. It's the original F4 Lime Green Metallic (I'm pulling the name of the color from memory - but think that's right) redone in a Sherwin Williams base coat/clear coat.

I've heard similar comments on their converters over the years, but never had a problem myself. Thankfully. I've been running one in my chebby pro-streeter since '92 and it still works great so when I upped the ante camshaft-wise in the Swinger a few years ago I called Mr. Reynolds and had him whip one up for the car. So far, so good. They seem to have closed shop and disappeared off of the map in the last couple of years however - not sure what happened to them.

Ray

You have great taste, I like the stock look with perfectly selected upgrades.

Thank-You!

Given the nature of your comment I'll assume that you'd also be interested to know that it was treated to a Steer and Gear "Firm" steering box and drives like a dream. It had drums at all four corners so I upgraded to the K-H four piston set-up from the same Duster that also gave up its dash for the project. It came with the factory sway bar but I'm planning to upgrade and add one for the rear also. You know how it is; they're never really finished...

Ray

Ah yes....The grille.I knew there was something I liked about this car.lol.

Questions.
Tire size?
Hood scoops.Original scoops,or aftermarket?
If after market did they fit the original holes in the hood?
If aftermarket where did you get them.

Also,is this a 70 Dart?
Was checking out the 71 headrest's.

Nice pup's !!!!

Ah yes....The grille.I knew there was something I liked about this car.lol.

Questions.
Tire size?
Hood scoops.Original scoops,or aftermarket?
If after market did they fit the original holes in the hood?
If aftermarket where did you get them.

Also,is this a 70 Dart?
Was checking out the headrest's.

Nice pup's !!!!

X2 Im doing a 71 myself.

Looks like a 70 with a 71 grill.

Nice looker, tight and clean, love the dogs, I have 3 labs that are vary neglected as well.

Hey Adam,
It is a 71 paint scheme on the grille.We both decided we liked the look better.

Actually I just decided that it was far easier to mask off and paint that way!!! LOL! The '70 vertical slats are silver in the front half and black in the back half; too much work without a paint template...

Tire size: 255/60/15 on 15X7 Rear and 225/60/14 on 14X6 Front. Both SBP.

Hood scoops are Ma Mopar originals. However, I bought them from the guy that owns Stinger Fiberglass (he advertises in Mopar Collector's Guide) and these are the originals that he used to create his molds from. I've heard several people say that his aftermarket versions are some of the best around.

Definitely a 1970 model. The front seat is out of a '73 Scamp - hence the later head rests. The car had some gawd-awful japanese bucket seats in it when we got it so I immediately set about finding something more suitable. The wife wanted to retain the column shifter so I focused the search on a bench. Found a nice (blue) seat in a Scamp that was DRIVEN (what a waste!) into the junk yard - we (the wife jumps in and helps out sometimes) pulled tons of parts off of that car. When I ordered the interior pieces from Legendary I went with the correct seat covers for the '73 version (in black) just in case there were any changes in the seat frames and the door panels and everything else were ordered for a '70 Dart.

Thanks for the compliment on the critters! The GSD pups are Quinn on the left, a five year old boy. Madi (Madison) in the middle, a two year old girl. And Leyna on the right, a three year old girl. Quinn & Leyna are both AKC Registered, and Madi was snatched from a kill shelter in South Carolina last summer by my lovely wife who would give a home to every one of them if she could... And in case you're wondering, yes, they love to ride! My '74 Duster currently does not have a doggie-slobber-free window in it...

Ray

Beautiful pic with the dogs.

I just showed my daughters and got a simul-awwwww from five girls at once....I love that sound. LOL.

Fantastic job. Obviously, a well thought out project. Sounds like you have a few connections in the auto industry as well. Never hurts.

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but what carb are you using? And where did you buy the Mopar valve covers and air cleaner cover?

Jerry

Fantastic job. Obviously, a well thought out project. Sounds like you have a few connections in the auto industry as well. Never hurts.

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but what carb are you using? And where did you buy the Mopar valve covers and air cleaner cover?

Jerry

Thanks. I've been typing that word a lot today - glad to see that my fellow A-Body enthusiasts share my afinity for this former cast-off. It was just a good "Fishin' Car" when we got it... LOL.

The carb is a Barry Grant 625 CFM Road Demon. It's a holdover from the earlier version of this same engine before it received the long-arm crank. Time will tell if an upgrade is required at some point later due to the increased displacement, but for now it'll do.

I bought the valve covers from one of the vendors at the Zephyrhills (Fla) Car Show last November. He was affiliated (although "loosely", I think) with Mancini Racing as I recall. $100 new in the box. You can get the same ones from Summit Racing for $110. The air cleaner did come from Summit. Don't remember what I paid for that. Bought it to go on my '70 F4 Duster that I haven't finished so it ended up on the wife's car...she steals parts all the time!

Ray

Very nice car, I love the color. I have to say, the dogs are the best though. I wish I could get my two labs to stick around long enough to pose with anyone/thing.

-
Back