Photos wanted B/RB and SB intake ports

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Anybody take a photo, or know where I can download accurate photos of B/ RB intake port patterns so I can overlay SB LA ports for comparison?

Still have in the back of my mind, a Hilborn style ITB injection DIY deal

Attachments

• BRBintake.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 321
What I need are one gasket laid over the opposite, or a gasket laid over a head, IE small block over big block

My idea is, I can get? a manifold "cheap" like above, or might "fall into" a Hilborn setup for a B/RB, and mod it to fit a SB engine. I can make the valley cover, and if necessary, the side plates for the heads to get a base to adapt to. I don't have them right off, but I found an outfit last year at the Spokane Good Guys show who MAKE intake sideplate blanks

What I need are one gasket laid over the opposite, or a gasket laid over a head, IE small block over big block

My idea is, I can get? a manifold "cheap" like above, or might "fall into" a Hilborn setup for a B/RB, and mod it to fit a SB engine. I can make the valley cover, and if necessary, the side plates for the heads to get a base to adapt to. I don't have them right off, but I found an outfit last year at the Spokane Good Guys show who MAKE intake sideplate blanks

dont know why you are stuck on the bigblock manifold on a smallblock it seems like alot of work doing the valleypan and the watercrossover and such it would probably be alot easier to use a small block chevy manifold and some intresting adaptor plates you could probably pick up a real cheap sbc carbintake for very little money to figure out how far of it is,but you will need some kind of spacers made since the sbc manifolds are narrower but except for that the ports might be fairly close.

there is probably alot more SBC hillborns out there for sale aswell

after some thinking you might be able to cut the runners of a any random airgap style intake and use as a valeypan bolted to the heads with countersunk bolts,then split the bigblock hillbornflange to addapt the portspacing if the ports are just similar in size

Crazy is as crazy does. If you really want to do it right and have an easier time doing it, purchase some sheet metal and break out the welder. Truly, the hardest part is getting someone to make you a nice flange to weld to. Check your industrial parks for machinists & metal warehouses.

Take an intake gasket to the metal house and tell them what your doing. The gasket is for size ref. for the metal shop and machinists how will cut it for you. I'd look for a 3/8 flange thickness to weld to.
Also make sure you have the rectangle diamentions for the valley plate you'll need to make.

Happy welding!

Not exactly an answer to your question, but a thought I've had before for a custom intake...

Cut the "barrel" out of an efi beer barrel intake, leaving just the valley cover and intake to head faces. Use it as a bolt-on adapter plate or have your preferred stacks welded on...

dont know why you are stuck on the bigblock manifold ...............on a smallblock it seems like alot of work doing the valleypan and the watercrossover and such it would probably be alot easier to use a small block chevy manifold and some intresting adaptor plates you could probably pick up a real cheap sbc carbintake for very little money

after some thinking you might be able to cut the runners of a any random airgap style intake and use as a valeypan bolted to the heads with countersunk bolts,then split the bigblock hillbornflange to addapt the portspacing if the ports are just similar in size

Actuallly I'm kicking around pretty much "all of the above." I actually bought a set of SB chev intake gaskets. This would be a problem. The ports are close, but the bolt holes would require some work. Frankly, it would be much easier to use a "three piece" Chiv manifold and go ahead and make a valley pan, rather than trying to use a one piece manifold, so.............we are back to the start, LOL

One reason I decided to investigate the B stacks is that............they show up pretty often. You could cut them in the middles to narrow them up (each pair) if they fit close otherwise.

AND..........also thinking of making something.........like the original phto........from scratch.......to adapt the evenly spaced bike ITB setups

like this only steel, instead of 'luminum

TB9_big.jpg

Not exactly an answer to your question, but a thought I've had before for a custom intake...

Cut the "barrel" out of an efi beer barrel intake, leaving just the valley cover and intake to head faces. Use it as a bolt-on adapter plate or have your preferred stacks welded on...

The problem with a barrel is they are magnum heads, and converting to bolt to a LA head is near impossible,

break out the welder. Truly, the hardest part is getting someone to make you a nice flange to weld to.!

This too has occurred, and I found an outfit that makes flanges. Problem is, this was at a car show, and I now don't know who they are, LOL

But I found some DIY manifolds people made for the old GM aluminum--then-British-Rover engine, using cross ram style runners for Weber side drafts.

I have a SB intake gasket and an old BB head. Should I try to line up the ports for the gasket
on the BB head and take a picture for you?

I have a SB intake gasket and an old BB head. Should I try to line up the ports for the gasket
on the BB head and take a picture for you?

Yes you becha.

What would be the most help would be to see how close one pair of ports comes to one pair of the other. EG the Hilborn style B/ RB stuff, you can cut them down to an isolated pair.

I'm downloading the pictures now. Will reformat and post them in a bit. Stay tuned....

Iz turnin blue here............ Also, was lookin at some of the "air gap" style manifolds on the bay, and noticed I MISSED one on here cheap

Actually that looks somewhat promising. Bolt holes are not important for now, as I may be able to re---work them.

When you get time can you post a shot of two of the ports themselves as aligned as possible?

Remember the B/ RB stuff can be cut apart and "spread or squished." But the port pairs, you are kinda stuck with. As I said this looks promising...........

I have a B bathtub intake here you can have if you want to cut it up and use if for the pattern.

Well HEY long-time-no-see. I'll jus' take ya up on that if it looks like it "might" do me some good

I'll PM my number

Actually that looks somewhat promising. Bolt holes are not important for now, as I may be able to re---work them.

When you get time can you post a shot of two of the ports themselves as aligned as possible?

Remember the B/ RB stuff can be cut apart and "spread or squished." But the port pairs, you are kinda stuck with. As I said this looks promising...........

Ok....

These look more promising. Here are two shots of the ports matched as close as I can get. there is a slight overlap of the gasket with the outer edges of the outer edge of the port, but it is minimal.

View attachment BB SB Port Match A01 B.jpg

View attachment BB SB Port Match A02 B.jpg

Here is a shot where I lined up the left edge of the port on the left side and let the right side go where it will. Only a slight mis-match. I intentionally lifted the gasket up so you can see where the port hits the edge of the gasket.

View attachment BB SB Port Match A03 B.jpg

Here I drew a line where the port will hit on the gasket. Still within the "printo-seal bead" for the SB gasket. The line is a little crooked as it was drawn free-mouse...

View attachment BB SB Port Match A03 B2.jpg

Here is another set just like the two above with the gasket lined up on the left port and float on the right:

View attachment BB SB Port Match A04 B.jpg

Same as above with the line drawn:

View attachment BB SB Port Match A04 B2.jpg

Here is the last attempt to line up the ports as centered as I can.

View attachment BB SB Port Match A05 B.jpg

!!THANKS!! That's some great stuff. Now I know I can revert to that. Look at my first photo, the weber manifolds. Let's say I scored a set of those cheap. I could cut them in half and either re-drill the intake, or on my intake filler strip, I'm going to have to do some digging on this, now.

!!THANKS!! That's some great stuff. Now I know I can revert to that. Look at my first photo, the weber manifolds. Let's say I scored a set of those cheap. I could cut them in half and either re-drill the intake, or on my intake filler strip, I'm going to have to do some digging on this, now.

We've created a monster.... LOL! :D

Glad to help you. You help alot of others.

Well not yet, we ain't LOL

Not really up on the price but one route.......

Attachments

• bRB.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 198
A matched pair of 2 x 4 barrels each bike throttle bodies

Attachments

• biketb.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 202

Yes, that could work.

One challenge is to keep the same sides on the same plane if you re-attach them after cutting them apart. If you weld them back together and they are not on the same plane/flatness, then they may not seal.

Just thinking for thought, maybe clamp both sides to a piece of bar stock that is flat to set the plane, then weld them back together.

Or if you left the port sets separate, then you wouldn't have to worry about re-attaching them and maintaining the flat plane for sealing from one set of ports to the other on the same side head.

-
Back