Picked up a 360

-

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hey all,

so Ive picked up a 360 thats just came outta a 1981 Dodge Sportsman Motorhome. Its done a documented 42,000 miles. It was running good before removal. Im getting everything from the Altinator, Starter, Sump to Carb.

I intend on fitting it to my Aussie Valiant Charger as the 1973 340 I have in there just now needs new rings and maybe a bore.

So I'll be fitting the 360 in for at least a year, maybe longer. Anyone shed any light on if late 70's early 80's 360 are any good? Pro's and Cons?

I'll be using 587 Heads that have 2.02" Valves already installed. May do a light port job on them? I have a Weiand Action Plus and a Holly 770cmf Street Avanger combo thats coming off my 340 that works well together. Aussie Pacemaker Headers and dual exhaust System as well.

Will these simple mods give me much of a pick-up HP/Torquewise over the 2bbl 360 Ive now got? How much more ooomph would a Cam add? I really dont wanna break the bank on this so would like to keep it cheap and cheerful.

Im running a 4 speed if that makes any difference?

Cheers guys. :)

Last edited:
You will need a 360 flywheel. Every thing else should swap over without a problem.

Also make sure the crank is drilled for a pilot bushing.

You will need a 360 flywheel. Every thing else should swap over without a problem.

Also make sure the crank is drilled for a pilot bushing.

Never thought about the Crank and the pilot Bushing, good point. :) Would 360's by that date not all be drilled for 4 speed?

Is a 360 flywheel different than a 318 one? I think the Flywheel is a 318 version but might be a 360 one, I'll have to check, being an Aussie 4 Speed Set up.

Thanks. :)

If it didn't have a 4 speed attached to it in the motor home then it's not drilled for one. 65'

The 360 flywheels are different than all the other Mopar engines flywheels. On the back there will be three drilled out holes or indentation whatever you want to call it but there's three of them and they are approximately an inch and a quarter so in diameter.

you will need the correct pan (and maybe different pump screen) for your chassis
truck may not (most likely not) work

Yes, they are fine engines. I would also recommend a new timing chain and gear set, as the original could be the silent type with the nylon coated camshaft gear. Even if it's not, it's still a good idea. Use a quality one, too. Of course.....while you're there........the camshaft is right behind. LOL

RRR speaks the truth
nylon gears end up in the pan- then you skip a tooth and bend valves (or at least run bad) or have plastic fill your oil screen and ruin the main bearings and sometimes loose a rod

Yes, they are fine engines. I would also recommend a new timing chain and gear set, as the original could be the silent type with the nylon coated camshaft gear. Even if it's not, it's still a good idea. Use a quality one, too. Of course.....while you're there........the camshaft is right behind. LOL

Ha ha, knew it would be a can of worms. :D

-
Back