Picked up a Jacobs Mileage Master

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
Saw this on CL for $20 and figured it was too cheap to pass up. Plan is to use it for my 78 Dodge Motorhome 440. It did not come with a coil but I have many coils including an Accel Super Coil and a Ford unit that came with an HEI setup I got from Trailbsast .

6E6BD274-1C37-4A09-BA2C-4357156703E5.jpeg

If it works correctly, that will be the best ignition you’ll ever have.

I had a Pro Street model that was insanely powerful. It would burn up the distributor caps on a Hyundai. I went from 38 to 41 mpg.

Cool … maybe I can get up to 8 mpg then . Lol
Is there a specific type of coil I should use ? Can I just unplug the existing Mopar electronic from the distributor and plug the Jacobs in ?

I had a Jacobs ignition system on my new 95 V8 Dakota & it DID make a difference. Too bad they don't sell their stuff here anymore. It was a good quality company, with good quality ignition systems. I think you got a good buy.

Last edited:
Back in “the day” the Jacobson set up was amazing. Just the wires and tune up kits made a huge difference over stock. Well at least it felt that way. Lol! I had the whole set up on an 318 Aspen (blew up the lean burn) and the engine ran so much better. Never cared at 19 to worry about checking mileage. My buddy had a 72 340 Challenger with it as well. Loved it. Till he rolled it - that’s another story.

that was a score. I might have a jacobs catalouge to check what they recomend. I have one box off of my 1999 Dakota and it had a small coil that Jacobs made.

OH! That’s there easy add on trigger point. That’s what I have on my Pro Steet system. Connect the stock coil wire there, then run the Jacobs coil wire to the distributor.
Thanks wondered what that was

Is there a way to verify the positive/negative terminals of the reluctor with a multimeter ? I know the wire colors are sometimes mixed up or different.
There are no wires on a reluctor. Pickup I have never seen them made wrong yet. With a meter I would say no it is to fast a pulse. Whats wrong? PM me Factory the black wire out of the pickup is USUALLY the negative side of the sine wave. Aftermarket is a crap shoot, seen them both ways.

Good thread on polarity

Last edited:
LOL…. Duh… I really do know the difference between a reluctor and a pickup

LOL no worries. Reductor is on the shaft and is kind of 6 or 8 points on it, it turns past the reductor that has wires on it and produces a AC signal. It is all in that link I posted.

1668042067340.png

Nothing wrong . I will solder a distributor plug to the boxes wiring and wanted to get it right the first time without a lot of messing around soldering then resoldwring . (******* spell check !)
thats it I am turning it off ! ….

I have a bunch of spare small block distributors ( would like to acquire some B and RB ) and parts including new reluctors, pickups, various advance plates and rotors , spring kits etc…. I follow your posts and try to learn what Ican .

ALL B/RB ALL USE THE SAME RELUCTORS AND PICKUPS, THAT SLANTS ARE DIFFERENT

-
Back