Picked up an 8 3/4. Help me identify the numbers

-

trebor75

Reaction score
The casting number is 2070741. So it's a 741 house right? There is also a large x. If you look at the picture there is also the number 24, 7H1. There was also 824 written in white letters on the other side of the carrier.

Anyone know what the 24, 7H1 and 824 might tell me? Previous owner tells me it's a 3.23 ratio and that it is 1968 formula s open axle. (When i turn one axle one way the other turns opposite direction, this tells me for sure it's open right?)
The picture is very big, sorry but it’s so hard to see the numbers!

Attachments

• IMG_0292.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 134
Yep, it's a 741 case. If you look at the ring gear, there will be the ratio stamped along the edge. If you look at the differential from the back so you can see the ring gear, a look into the housing will tell you if it's open or not. Do you see any springs in the spider gear housing, or is it "open"?? As for the other casting numbers, I'm not sure what they mean, but it doesn't really matter, it could have come in just about anything A body or B body, probably not C body and I doubt E body. The 824 could be the casting date of the housing, or August 24th of the year produced. Hope this helps, Geof

Yep, it's a 741 case. If you look at the ring gear, there will be the ratio stamped along the edge. If you look at the differential from the back so you can see the ring gear, a look into the housing will tell you if it's open or not. Do you see any springs in the spider gear housing, or is it "open"?? As for the other casting numbers, I'm not sure what they mean, but it doesn't really matter, it could have come in just about anything A body or B body, probably not C body and I doubt E body. The 824 could be the casting date of the housing, or August 24th of the year produced. Hope this helps, Geof

Thank you Geof. I had no chance to take it apart today but i was so curious and thought the other numbers might tell me something. The axle is from an a body (Barracuda) and will end up on my Duster.

Wow, trebor, finding an A body 8 3/4 in Sweden must be quite a rare find!!! I didn't realize that it wasn't apart, but you are correct that if one axle turns one way and the other turns the opposite way, that indicates an open rear. Still a good find though!!! Good luck with your project. That looks like a mighty fine Duster there too!!! You must be proud!!! Geof

Yes, the 8 1/4 turns up much more often in ads and such. We rarely see a 8 3/4 for sale. Thanks for the kind words!

-
Back