Picking up a 1964 Chrysler Saratoga 300

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
I never used to be big into this body style, but with the awesome deal I've been offered, I can't turn it down. Plus, it's growing on me. It's a '64 Chrysler Saratoga 300 (Saratoga went into 1964 in Canada). It's got a strong running 383, push button 727, 8 3/4 with unknown gears, factory dual mirrors, rear defrost, that funky square steering wheel, factory tinted windows, and radio delete, but someone found a radio and radio trim plate for it. It's a 4 door hard top, and the body is super clean, just needs a bit of interior work.

Should make for a good cruiser.

Very lucky find! I think they're underrated. I've always loved that bodystyle. Especially the hardtop.

I think the 5 yr/50,000 mile warranty started in '63. Notice the undercoating on that baby!

Plans are to swap out the gas tank, go through the brakes and upgrade to a dual master, and enjoy it. I may swap to a 4 bbl intake and carb, not sure yet.

That steering wheel is a trip. I could never get used to that.

Cool car, I really like the hardtops. Looks like its in really good shape and a fine catch

Colors are the same as my sales manager's demo when I was working at a C-P dealership in '64, but his was a New Yorker 4-door hardtop.

Just like the pushbutton transmission, the squared wheel took time to get used to, but when you did you wondered why all cars didn't have them. I'd like to find one of those wheels for my Valiant.

Wow Very nice find indeed seeing the steering wheel brings back memories
congratulations 70DartMike :cheers: SaaaWEET find :cheers:

Good Score!
That's going to make a great Derby car, Mike. JK!
That car brings back memories, my uncle had one in the late 60s but it was white.
Cool cars......

Haha, no derby for this one. Originally the plan was to sell it in the summer, but that may change, seeing as how it's really growing on me, and you just don't see them anymore. I will be putting my '65 Valiant up for sale to make room for this though.

Looks great. Enjoy. There was a Silver Edition, 64, on display at this year's Toronto International Car Show. Along with 2 Darts.

Got it home today, got it for a great price considering how clean and complete it is.

The drivers front drum was partially seized so I pulled it apart. Everything is coming apart surprisingly well which is a good sign. Plan is to do all 4 brakes, wheel cylinders, upgrade to a dual master, run new gas line, and enjoy it.

No pics of it home, just one of the tow vehicle. Ripped the front bumper off while towing the Chrysler. Knew I should have finished welding the brackets last night.

Nice score on the Saratoga she's a beauty and that Fargo is the beast love it.

FARGO...it's what ate your breakfast....cool car..I know where a 63-64 newport is in a barn bblk with 3 spd on column,in very good shape runs and drives but needs brake work...in Jasper Mo

Got it home today, got it for a great price considering how clean and complete it is.

The drivers front drum was partially seized so I pulled it apart. Everything is coming apart surprisingly well which is a good sign. Plan is to do all 4 brakes, wheel cylinders, upgrade to a dual master, run new gas line, and enjoy it.

No pics of it home, just one of the tow vehicle. Ripped the front bumper off while towing the Chrysler. Knew I should have finished welding the brackets last night.

The old bird you picked up is heavy and just ripped the bumper! LOL Look forward to progress pictures!!!

Only picture I took of it since it's been home.

Drivers side front brake came apart and went together so well.. Passenger side, not so much. The hose is split, the line is rusted, the cotter pins in the bolts holding the backing plate on are a PITA, and none of the fittings want to come out of the splitter. I removed the single master and installed a new dual master, and I'll be installing a splitter for drum/drum, so I'll be running new brake lines and hoses.

Got it running on its own yesterday, ran rubber line to a jerry can. Idles smooth, sounds healthy.

Did both front brakes with new wheel cylinders and new lines. New dual master to replace the single reservoir.

-
Back