pics of the last couple of weeks of work

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Almost finished the install of the electric cut outs and modifying of the exhaust system. Just have to buy some bolts for the electric motor unit.

The install of the engine and the tti headers went like a breeze, yeah almost,
lol
Had to modify the new tti z-bar a little ( it interfered with the starter) but all in all it fits perfect.

avgas -feb-09 (4) - Kopia.JPG

avgas -feb-09 (5) - Kopia.JPG

avgas -feb-09 (9) - Kopia.JPG

avgas -feb-09 (10) - Kopia.JPG

The fish is looking GREAT!! Keep up the good work and ofcourse also keep the pics coming!!

Looks great swedefish :cheers:
I would like to drive that through Lowes parking lot and then hit the switch
to open them up :toothy10: very nize =P~

Looking good. From what I hear, the electric cut outs work alot better and don't leak like the old cable operated ones did.

When I get my dart done I am going fishing.Just kidding you would smoke me.Looks good and will sound nice.:cheers:

Nice work, Swede; I especially like the period-correct turquoise engine color.

Nice work, Swede; I especially like the period-correct turquoise engine color.

I thought red was the correct engine color for early a engines? I know red is the correct color for my '64, but mine's orange.

I'm a rookie when it comes to the high performance stuff, but wouldn't it be better to have the cut-outs behind the H pipe?

Car looks great!

I thought red was the correct engine color for early a engines? I know red is the correct color for my '64, but mine's orange.

I'm a rookie when it comes to the high performance stuff, but wouldn't it be better to have the cut-outs behind the H pipe?

Car looks great!

Bigblock engines were painted turquoise in the 67-69 A-bodies except for the M-code cars in -69,which I believe were red. Smallblock -67 engines were red too. The 318 cid in my former Cuda -68 vert were painted orange.

About the H-pipe
My guess is that it depends on how you build the engine if you gain any power with the cut outs. If you got a stock factory engine wouldn`t there be for the best to use a full system if the engine need some backpressure when running? Maybe some performance guru has a better explanation?

Another part I don't need...but want BAD. Do they come with instructions as to where to install them?

I hope you have better luck than I did with the QuickTimes. The rubber boot was the first thing to go. It burnt up and cracked. I called them and they said it would be alright. Then what the heck is it on there for? Then the motor went out. Called them and they do not repair them but would be more than happy to send me another motor in which I had to buy. Oh it will start to leak around the butterfly and they recommend you take some silicone sealant and that make a "bed" for it seal good! What! Sounds like they did some poor fab work to me.

The instructions say not to hold the switch to long and to bump it rather than hold it until it's closed. Once it gets close to closing you need to bump it another words until the valve is closed good. I did that from day one and still the motor went out.

The QuickTime I have is on my Dodge Ram and I don't even open it up anymore because it is just to much trouble and might tear up. I think I'm just going to remove it and cap the cut out off. I surely would hate to have two on my cuda.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks for the kind words, guys
Thanks for the warning Mullinax, did you do any service on the electric cut out like cleaning the pipe from time to time? Anyway I´ll keep an extra eye on the electric motors.

Thanks John, can´t wait to take her out in the streets but I believe it will
take some more months of wait, we just got 2 inches more of snow this last night.

Have to correct myself about the engine color.
67-69 , 273,318-340 engines were red
All 67-68 383 engines were "medium blue-green".
For -69 the 383 and 440 engine were "Street Hemi orange"
This is according to my "Barracuda-Challenger Restorartion guide

And my 67 383 is orange with medium blue green sprayed over it while it was in the car; overspray on the engine bay.
The bell housing is also orange.
Although I can not be 100% positive, it appears the engine has not been out of the car, based on the few things I have done, the original state of the car, and the previous 2 owners.
Since 67 does not have the VIN on the block, I checked the date codes, the motor was cast on 1/9/67 and assembled on 5/23/67.
Depending on what date you believe is accurate for the build date of the car, it was either built on 5/26/67 (according to the IBM build card) or on 5/31/67 (according to the fender tag).
I know the 69 383 HP engines were orange and stamped "HP" below the assembly date, which mine does not have, but the letter I received from Chrysler with the IBM build card lists the engine as "383-4 HP 8-Cylinder."

5.JPG

From what I´ve read about Mopars earlier you can´t be sure of that our cars were buillt exactly as the guides says it should.
I believe that I´ve read that the personal at the plants took was what available on shelfs if any of the accurate items were missing during assembly.
Right or wrong I´m not sure.
Maybe we have someone, who did work at a plant, here at FABO who can
update us on this.

Matthon: Could it be that the IBM punch hole card were printed at one date and the fendertag at the other date?

swedefish;461531 Thanks for the warning Mullinax said:
Heck .. there was no need .. I had the thing off just about every other week trying to get it fixed. But yeah I would clean everything up before I mounted it back on.

I,m interested to see how these work for you before I buy any.I,m really getting tired of unbolting my exhaust every week.Let us know how they hold out.Hope they,ve improved since Mullinaxe,s experience?

From what I´ve read about Mopars earlier you can´t be sure of that our cars were buillt exactly as the guides says it should.
I believe that I´ve read that the personal at the plants took was what available on shelfs if any of the accurate items were missing during assembly.
Right or wrong I´m not sure.
Maybe we have someone, who did work at a plant, here at FABO who can
update us on this.

Matthon: Could it be that the IBM punch hole card were printed at one date and the fendertag at the other date?

I agree, and nice car!

The IBM card lists the Shipped Date as 5/26 and the Shipping Order No. as 5/31.
The letter lists 5/26 as the Shipped Date.
5/31 is on the fender tag, which decodes as the Production Date, which is not necessarily correct.
Based on the fact that my car was ordered, and great information from FABO members, it appears when my car was ordered it was given a scheduled shipping date and would have been built and shipped with that date as a target. Since the motor was assembled on Tuesday 5/23/67, the car was probably assembled the same day or soon after, and shipped on or before Friday 5/26/67.
Here is some good info from members and other sources:

A "sold car" or a "sold order" refers to a dealer's order for a car which the dealer has already sold to the retail customer. In other words, the customer has already ordered this car from the dealer and the dealer is now ordering this car to fulfill the dealer's sale to the customer. In contrast, a dealer could be ordering cars to hold in the dealer's inventory, in other words, to put the cars on the dealer's lot and offer them for sale.

Apparently, the factory would use this information in scheduling production. Presumably, "sold" cars would be produced as soon as possible, although I wonder if the real effect was simply that sold orders would be less likely to be bumped further back in line, when other scheduling changes were being considered. After all, there might have been some consideration given to dealer's orders from dealers whose inventory was low, as well, of course, to favoring orders from dealers who had friends at the factory or headquarters, and delaying orders from dealers who were being "punished". The fellow who actually did the production line scheduling must have received many contradictory instructions from many different people within Chrysler!

The dates on the fender tags, shipping orders & fender tags are the Scheduled Production Date (SPD) It is the day they HOPED to build the car when the information first hit they system. Most cars were actually built within 3 weeks before or after the SPD.

You can narrow the actual date down a little with the date coded parts that are still original to your car. As one example, the engine assembly date on my car is 5 days after the car was scheduled to have been built.

-
Back