Pics of your Silver Darts

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
I think i've decided on a color for my dart. Its a silver metallic from summit racing. Choosing this paint because its a lighter color and it wouldn't show all of my flaws in my beginner bodywork hopefully. this is going to be my first paintjob and first time doing real bodywork.

trying to get ideas for the black accents. I think i'm going to paint the entire hood (Including a 6 pack scoop that i'll be installing) a "hot rod black" which is a flat black with a satin finish. thinking about also possibly painting entire trunk lid black. not sure how a black hood and trunk would look on an all silver car.

trying to figure out other ideas for accents that i might do.

If anyone can post pics of silver mopars that they can find. Or of their own I can't find too many pictures of silver darts on the Web.

alll comments and advice are appreciated!

here are the 2 colors i think i've chosen:

gloss silver metallic (NO CC).jpg

satin hot rod black (NO CC).jpg

oh those are very mean looking i love the first one good color

Wow, that is a color I had not considered. That is really nice, hope more pics get posted.!

thanks. I hadn't considered it either. I had my mind set on an entire flat black car. but realized that this would show all flaws in bodywork. So I figure this silver still looks very mean! and price is right with summits acrylic urethane paints!

I especially like the last one (GTS) with the black roof and stripe. I'm not sure if it is a factory color or not. It seems like it is a bit darker than the chip in my Martin-Senour book.

Just be careful, silver metallics are not an easy thing for first timers to paint...

I think metallicas in general are more difficult to get an evenly laid down color. If you don't do them just right you can get a blotchy or striped look from unevenness in the metallic particles. That's also why I you shouldn't paint parts (fenders, doors, etc) separately with metallics ... you can get differences in appearence form part to part. Also, metallics are less forgiving if you decide to paint a single stage paint becasue wetsanding and polishing can screw up the evenness of the metallic on the surface.

I think metallicas in general are more difficult to get an evenly laid down color. If you don't do them just right you can get a blotchy or striped look from unevenness in the metallic particles. That's also why I you shouldn't paint parts (fenders, doors, etc) separately with metallics ... you can get differences in appearence form part to part. Also, metallics are less forgiving if you decide to paint a single stage paint becasue wetsanding and polishing can screw up the evenness of the metallic on the surface.

thanks for that info. the paint i'm using doesn't require a clear coat, but it says you can use one..

With a clear coat on top of the paint, will this make it feel more smooth and even right?

also, I did some research and found that the paints with larger metallic flakes are the ones that are harder, because of it being uneven. but from what I've read, since the flakes in this particular paint aren't too big, a clearcoat isn't required. but a clearcoat is still probably a good idea right?

And then also, how bad would it be if i didn't do a clear coat?
my only reason for not doing a clearcoat would be because that's just one more possible thing that can go wrong while i'm doind my first paintjob here..
thanks

I'm not a painter or a body man so maybe someone else can jump in as well. The clear itself won't make it feel any more smooth than without clear, but you will be safer when making it smooth afterwards. The advantage of the clear is that if there are any irregularities in the paint (orange peel etc) you can wetsand and buff without disturbing the metallic paint underneath. I hear alot of folks say that they shoot single stage for jambs, in the trunk, and under the hood for ease and to save money, but add the clear on the body to allow for wetsanding and polishing later. Your paint choice sounds like you could paint everything with it and then just clearcoat the outside. I think some of the problems with metallics is that you really need to make sure the particles are stirred evenly and that you don't let them settle in the cup while painting.

I'm not a painter or a body man so maybe someone else can jump in as well. The clear itself won't make it feel any more smooth than without clear, but you will be safer when making it smooth afterwards. The advantage of the clear is that if there are any irregularities in the paint (orange peel etc) you can wetsand and buff without disturbing the metallic paint underneath. I hear alot of folks say that they shoot single stage for jambs, in the trunk, and under the hood for ease and to save money, but add the clear on the body to allow for wetsanding and polishing later. Your paint choice sounds like you could paint everything with it and then just clearcoat the outside. I think some of the problems with metallics is that you really need to make sure the particles are stirred evenly and that you don't let them settle in the cup while painting.

everything you said makes sense logically..thanks

hadn't thought about that really before..

hopefully one of the body guys will chime in and agree with that..

but i'll also be talking to a few people locally that I know

-
Back