picture of inside of a Pertronix dist.

-

22dog22

Reaction score
Can anyone supply a photo of the inside of a Pertronix Ignitor II dist. , is there a whiteish cover over the center shaft that is the trigger point for the module? The person at tech. support, said that there should be one, however I am having so many problems with mine, I will pull it out and go with an OEM Mopar type electronic system from Ricks Mopar. Have a 318 69 Cuda, with high dome pistons, Comp. Cam, Alum. intake, ITT headers, 904 auto trans.

As a 2nd question, if I have #1 cylinder [compression] at 10deg. before TDC, and have the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder, is this ok, and just set timing with a timing light from there? OR is needed to be #1 cylinder at TDC, to install the dist. with rotor at #1 and then adjust with the timing light?

Can anyone supply a photo of the inside of a Pertronix Ignitor II dist. , is there a whiteish cover over the center shaft that is the trigger point for the module? The person at tech. support, said that there should be one, however I am having so many problems with mine, I will pull it out and go with an OEM Mopar type electronic system from Ricks Mopar. Have a 318 69 Cuda, with high dome pistons, Comp. Cam, Alum. intake, ITT headers, 904 auto trans.

As a 2nd question, if I have #1 cylinder [compression] at 10deg. before TDC, and have the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder, is this ok, and just set timing with a timing light from there? OR is needed to be #1 cylinder at TDC, to install the dist. with rotor at #1 and then adjust with the timing light?
any information?

any information?

I have a Pertronix II installed in my '65 FS 273 factory dual point distributor, and am attaching photos. Hope they can be of help. This is a "lobe sensing" type. Bob

DSC_7112.JPG
DSC_7113.JPG
DSC_7114.JPG
DSC_7115.JPG
DSC_7116.JPG

Some earlier Ignitors had magnets embedded in a white plastic collar around the shaft below the rotor.

Thank you for the photos, I see you have the Ignitor II installed in what looks like a OEM Mopar dist., I have the Pertronix unit dist. with the Ignitor II installed and on the center shaft , a white/transparent , plastic item that covers the armature of what the module would ride against . Looking a photo of that area or let me know if it should be there.

DSCN0121.JPG

Thank you for the photos, I see you have the Ignitor II installed in what looks like a OEM Mopar dist., I have the Pertronix unit dist. with the Ignitor II installed and on the center shaft , a white/transparent , plastic item that covers the armature of what the module would ride against . Looking a photo of that area or let me know if it should be there.

View attachment 1716300402

Yes, my Pertronix Ignitor II is installed in my stock dual point distributor. I wish I could help but I am not familiar with what you have there.

Looking at the pics in post #3, has put Pertronix on my 'Do not buy list'.
That design, triggering off the high point [ which is not very high...or pointed ] would have cyl to cyl timing variations.

View attachment 1716300402

I’ve got an Pertronix billet distributor in my Duster, I can grab a picture for you although it might take day or two as I’m at work and don’t like to open things up in a parking lot when I’m 60+ miles from home.

You didn’t actually say though, what problems are you having? Are you running the proper resistance coil as well? You’ve bypassed or removed the ballast resistor?

For your timing question, put #1 at TDC and then install the distributor with the rotor pointing at #1. Worry about the advance after the distributor is installed and adjust with a timing light.

Looking at the pics in post #3, has put Pertronix on my 'Do not buy list'.
That design, triggering off the high point [ which is not very high...or pointed ] would have cyl to cyl timing variations.

Ah, so you’ve never run one and never tested one, but you know better than the manufacturer does?

First, there are several different Pertronix ignition conversion kits, and they use different triggering methods. So not liking the lobe triggered version above doesn’t mean you can’t use a different pertronix unit.

Second, the lobe triggered Pertronix units have a micro controller that adjusts the spark timing.

DODGE PerTronix 91385LS PerTronix Ignitor II® Lobe Sensor Solid-State Ignition Systems | Summit Racing

I mean, it’s almost like people smart enough to design that ignition unit would understand how to trigger it reliably. And maybe a guy on the internet that saw a few pictures and jumped to conclusions isn’t an expert in the matter.

I agree the Pertronix stuff is good. The only reason I'm not running it is because of parts availability if something breaks. I have gobs of Mopar stuff, so that's what I run.

I agree the Pertronix stuff is good. The only reason I'm not running it is because of parts availability if something breaks. I have gobs of Mopar stuff, so that's what I run.

Honestly I think your odds of finding a Petronix unit at a local parts house are probably better than finding a Mopar ignition box these days. And if you’re gonna carry a spare it doesn’t really matter.

@22dog22 , here's some pictures of my Pertronix billet distributor with the ignitor II unit. Appears to have the same plastic collar as yours, I would be willing to bet the dark spots on mine is dirt stuck to the magnetic triggers embedded in the plastic.

IMG_7779.jpeg

IMG_7775.jpeg

-
Back