Piker Porting (Intake Manifolds)

-
I only mentioned the TF to remove any benefit of prior experience with it,

I like the idea. The real problem will be getting one, let alone enough for say, 6-10 guys who want to participate.

Then you’d have to establish what the engine parameters would be.

Then there would have to be a written test plan and it would need to be followed to the letter.

I’d be down for it.

I only mentioned the TF to remove any benefit of prior experience with it,
I was just trying to be funny .
We could use several different metrics .
MPG
1/4 mile mph
1/4 mile ET
Vacuum signal @ idle and cruise
30-60 Acceleration ...?

All measured before and after portwork

The intakes would not necesarilly need to be the same . Since all our engines are different having the same intake wouldnt matter.

OK, burrs from from Amazon arrived. Ran out to the shop, put some oil on a 6061 plate, chucked up one of the burrs and did three quick tajes. First photo is with a side to side motion, normal firm pressure, with varied drill speed:

EEDFE3AC-6234-413A-AAB2-06284515D60B.jpeg

Next here is using a random in/out @ 45° motion, same normal firm pressure and varying speed, with oil:

8862199C-A787-4D23-A424-261AB3CBA596.jpeg

Next is a random circular motion with oil:

EE41AE78-2B9A-44C7-9A0F-BEC5680C60A0.jpeg

Here are the burrs:

AEF41C1B-C858-4698-BF64-0D04BDAC228E.jpeg

Will work on more tomorrow, try lighter and heavier levels of tool pressure and see what I get. Honestly, of all three examples, done quickly for the first attempt, I like the random circular motion results comparing it to the burr finish examples I’ve seen.

Last edited:
OK, got the burrs in the mail from Amazon. Ran out to the shop, put some oil on the 6061 plate, chucked up one of the burrs and did a quickie. First photo is purely side to side motion, not very hard pressure, varied drill speed:

View attachment 1715860664

Next is using a random in/out @ 45° motion, same normal pressure and varying speed, with oil:

View attachment 1715860673

Next is a random circular motion with oil, one pass, no extra passes.

View attachment 1715860679

Here are the burrs:

View attachment 1715860680

Back inside to heat and beer. Will hit it more tomorrow, play with it some more and see what I get. Honestly, of all three examples, done quickly for the first attempt, I’m liking the normal firm pressure, varying the drill speed and random circular motion results.

How much material is being removed with those?

I like the circular random pattern the best also. In my tiny little brain it makes sense not to introduce any “direction” to the airflow. How much were those burrs if you don’t mind saying?

OK, got the burrs in the mail from Amazon. Ran out to the shop, put some oil on the 6061 plate, chucked up one of the burrs and did a quickie. First photo is purely side to side motion, not very hard pressure, varied drill speed:

View attachment 1715860664

Next is using a random in/out @ 45° motion, same normal pressure and varying speed, with oil:

View attachment 1715860673

Next is a random circular motion with oil, one pass, no extra passes.

View attachment 1715860679

Here are the burrs:

View attachment 1715860680

Back inside to heat and beer. Will hit it seriously tomorrow, try lighter and heavier levels of tool pressure and see what I get. Honestly, of all three examples, done quickly for the first attempt, I’m liking the normal firm pressure, varying the drill speed and random circular motion results purely from comparing to the burr finishes I’ve seen.
The second and third pictures are about as good as it gets.

Some interesting things in this Vizard episode. Knife edging the #7 runner wall while radiusing the #5 wall and the reasons for doing so (and other techniques) as well as the anti-streaming counter sinks for tunnel rams.

Some interesting things in this Vizard episode. Knife edging the #7 runner wall while radiusing the #5 wall and the reasons for doing so (and other techniques) as well as the anti-streaming counter sinks for tunnel rams.

I’m interested. I’ll watch it on my TV

That was interesting. Like I’ve said, a sharp divider isn’t always bad. You just have to know why you are using it.

I wish he would have covered runner taper. The camera made that port look like it had almost no taper.

Also, do you know if he ever made the spacer video? I looked for it but didn’t see one.

That was interesting. Like I’ve said, a sharp divider isn’t always bad. You just have to know why you are using it.

I wish he would have covered runner taper. The camera made that port look like it had almost no taper.

Also, do you know if he ever made the spacer video? I looked for it but didn’t see one.
I tried to find a spacer video also with no luck. What he said about spacers peaked my interest for sure.

Haven’t seen any videos of the spacer testing. I like his reasoning behind knife edging the #7 divider wall while radiusing the other side (#5 wall) To try limiting 7 drawing from 5. I’ve actually done some preliminary work on that divider as it was the last one I straightened. Taped off the the other runners and ran vacuum on 7 and used a streamer to see how far over it would still try to be drawn into 7, did this with the radiused 6/8 divider for comparison. There is a noticeable difference, just with a crude test. The knife edge just on that wall helps. So, taking what Vizard (as well as Eric Weingartner) mentions doing a step further, we knife edge the #1 divider while radiusing the #2 divider. To try limiting 1 stealing from 2.

#7 divider wall knife edging:

63A956A8-2144-4438-BA19-E169C40B8E86.png

#5 divider wall radius:

BDF73D5E-AA36-418C-A8C3-48AD736EAFAF.png

#1 knife edge:

61AAA0D2-E217-453A-A6F2-354865255FB2.jpeg

#2 Divider radius:

1992FFED-F0AD-47CC-A83A-AC2EF11D3676.jpeg

Last edited:
Haven’t seen any videos of the spacer testing. I like his reasoning behind knife edging the #7 divider wall while radiusing the other side (#5 wall) To try limiting 7 drawing from 5. I’ve actually done some preliminary work on that divider as it was the last one I straightened. Taped off the the other runners and ran vacuum on 7 and used a streamer to see how far over it would still try to be drawn into 7, did this with the radiused 6/8 divider for comparison. There is a noticeable difference, just with a crude test. The knife edge just on that wall helps. It’s minor, but.......Just interesting stuff to study.

#7 divider wall knife edging:

View attachment 1715867142

#5 divider wall radius:

View attachment 1715867141

Looks good. Your burr finish is very nice too. Doesn’t get much better than that.

Looks good. Your burr finish is very nice too. Doesn’t get much better than that.
Thanks. I’ve seen pictures of it rougher, as well as plenty that look similar. I was going to wait and try to test it after running it with the 40 grit finish, but decided to just do it all and be done with it.

The finished plenum prior to knife edge/radius of the 5/7 divider, side shot after, and a pair of runners:

B341C8E5-AF93-479B-9F3E-13413848F83D.jpeg

F81F87D8-EA77-41F0-B99A-631C45789E5F.jpeg

36D63611-84E1-4A13-B83C-3E76870FEA81.jpeg

Asking because I’m ignorant and learning, should you use a larger radius on the port roof to carb flange?

Asking because I’m ignorant and learning, should you use a larger radius on the port roof to carb flange?
I could have, from all that I’ve seen but stayed with about a 7/16” radius. Everything I’ve done, IMO, is more restrained you could say. There’s a lot that could still be done to it for sure.

Hope you don’t mind @mbaird but I took one of your before pics and an after pic to put them side by side for comparison. You did nice work.

7BD744A4-BEE8-4928-82C8-9819650F8D9E.jpeg

8C4014FF-25FD-42E9-AE36-9625AEF822FB.jpeg

-
Back