Pikes peak hill climb.

-
There's one for the bucket list. I'm not sure I would be as close to the corners as some of those spectators were!!

Wow, what a drive. Can anyone DRIVE up pikes peak?

Here some footage from the 80's
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqDl1s99QOU"]YouTube - TOO FAST TO RACE - audi quattro s1 pikes peak[/ame]

Wow, what a drive. Can anyone DRIVE up pikes peak?

Yes you can, they close it down on the 4th of July for the race. You can drive up early the day of the race, but you have to stay untill the end. Nice drive in the summer but the air get's a little thin on top.

WOW. Just watched the video. That is some racing! I try to watch the Pikes Peak run whenever it is on the tube. Thanks Dave!

I didn't race up it but I ragged out a rental car on the way up but not on the way down...they hit your brakes with a thermal gun and they are too hot they make you wait...it's a long winding drive...75 at the bottom and 20 degrees and snow at the top

My pretty close to all-time favorite Pike's Peak footage is called "Climb Dance" is a finnish driver named Ari Vatanen driving a Peugot in I believe 1988

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-K1B4sTX4o&feature=related"]YouTube - Climb Dance (High Quality)[/ame]

I've driven up to Pikes Peak 4 times, all in the span of 3 years. It is truly a white knuckle ride, at any speed. Especially coming down. I ain't crazy about heights, and some of the drop offs where there are no guard rails are long and steep, the rental cars I had probably had new steering wheels put in after I turned them in cause they had my finger marks thru them

FF

The Peak is a pretty cool race to attend. Another neat aspect is watching the helicopter chase the drivers up the mountain. Impressive pilots! I've known a couple of drivers, and there is nothing like it to them. They are talking of paving it all the way up, I hope not though. It does not get the attention it once did though, there used to be flags and vehicles all over Colorado Springs. Now people seem to care less. I sometimes wonder if the best days are behind it, hope not. There is a local guy driving a '71 Cuda up the mountain. He was in Mopar Action last year I believe (cover car).

The Peak is a pretty cool race to attend. Another neat aspect is watching the helicopter chase the drivers up the mountain. Impressive pilots! I've known a couple of drivers, and there is nothing like it to them. They are talking of paving it all the way up, I hope not though. It does not get the attention it once did though, there used to be flags and vehicles all over Colorado Springs. Now people seem to care less. I sometimes wonder if the best days are behind it, hope not. There is a local guy driving a '71 Cuda up the mountain. He was in Mopar Action last year I believe (cover car).
You ever see a red 300ZX with black tiger stripey things on the sides? That car belongs to a guy in my town. It was there the year before last maybe.

I would never be able to do this, that's gotta be one of the most insane things I have ever seen

How about a 71 Cuda at Pikes Peak?...

4736938961_ef487dda86.jpg

4736940295_917f03a705.jpg

This ain't Pikes Peak....but has some sharp twisties, fairly steep climb.
This is near where I live.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IErZYY26x4A"]YouTube - Cbr600rr up mt archer[/ame]

I drove my 750 Yamaha up and down Pikes peak...gravel...paved roads...dump trucks everywhere...yeah it was a good time..:)

How about a 71 Cuda at Pikes Peak?...

4736938961_ef487dda86.jpg

When did this run? Around '71 I "got in a trade" a 70 Cuda which had been raced at Pike's. I know nothing of it's history, or who ran it. I stuck a 440 in it and had a little fun out at Carlsbad. Had 5.13's (5.38?) I think, that damn 440 was up over 7K through the lights at 11.80. This was months before I got discharged, had no time to thrash it out. The clutch would not release, I could shift just as fast WITHOUT the clutch, and so I launched in 2nd gear

One of the greatest rally drivers of all time... listen for the "dear god"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R7ws741KpE"]YouTube - Rally Legend Ari Vatanen *Dear God* 1:38 insane onboard 1983[/ame]

-
Back