Pilot bushing install....HELP

-

Ironmike

Reaction score
Hi guys. Stroker just got here and the pilot bushing my builder sent is pictured, along with the crank "snout".

Not sure which end goes in. Seems like the non-tapered end wants to go, but I'm not sure.
Also, once in it looks like the bushing is gonna be darn near flush with the crank snout. AND I'm not sure weather to lube the bushing or just put it all together.

Sure could use some advice cause this sure ain't no chevy(thank goodness)!

Attachments

• pilot bushing.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 422
  • crank.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 445
The two I've done were tapered side into the crank and a little anti-seize or grease on the input shaft of the trans and that's it.
I think the bearing will bottom out into the crank, which is deeper that flush with the lip.
-Jon

I think if it bottoms out, it ain't gonna be too far from flush....maybe quarter inch or so. Hoping the guy sent me the right bushing.

That's quite a bushing.Never used one that big.Sorry I can't help you,don't know which way it would go

Hi guys. Stroker just got here and the pilot bushing my builder sent is pictured, along with the crank "snout".

Not sure which end goes in. Seems like the non-tapered end wants to go, but I'm not sure.
Also, once in it looks like the bushing is gonna be darn near flush with the crank snout. AND I'm not sure weather to lube the bushing or just put it all together.

Sure could use some advice cause this sure ain't no chevy(thank goodness)!
Why not a pilot bearing...I have pulled out bushings like that and you do insert the tapered end in first..anti-seeze is a great idea even for the next person that has to pull it out..

the side of the bushing that is too the left appears to be the end that goes in first. Ive never seen a crank drilled out like that before so I'd start by putting the bellhousing on the trans and measuring how far the bushing can be installed and still support the output shaft of the trans.

Mine went in and bottomed out, sticking out some. It don't bother nothing though. We are talking 4spd here! There is plenty of room in there to stick out, no big deal. Both ends were tapered and it seems that yours is also!

Yep. Did some measuring of the scattershield and tranny shaft. The bushing will work fine.

And, the side on the left(in the pic) does go in first. Don't know why there's a chamfer on the right side. It won't start to go in from that side. I actually mic'd the damn thing to be sure.

-
Back