pilot mtn state park in north carolina on fire

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
pilot mtn state park is currently on fire after a controlled fire got out of hand. so far 240 acres are burned and still burning. i can see it from my house. its going to be closed for a good while due to this. it saddens me as its my favorite place to take my kids almost every saturday.

they arent saying when it will be out. saw this morning that they were going to have to burn more to get it out. cant figure why they picked such a windy day to do a controlled burn.

this is only part of it. It seems to have spread to the knob as well and where we usually go hiking

Attachments

• firepilotmtn.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 165
came by up 52 yesterday about 9 am been to pick up a 69 340 swinger south of there it was on fire then

It's sad to see such a beautiful area go up in smoke....... as we
have been down Highway 52 many time's, all through the 90's, picking
up part's car's & project's in eastern N.C. I hope they get the fire out soon. I alway's wanted to stop and visit the park, but never did. It will come back, will just take many year's to get back to like it was.

this mornings paper said atleast 700 acres have burned and expecting 1000 before all said and done. my neibor works for the local police force and he said the fire was started by the park ranger not the forestry serv. and their was also a wind advisory. go figure.

-
Back