Pime Oil?

-

SOCAL64DART

Reaction score
Just about to turn over the motor after it sat for 10 years, just want to prime the oil pump first.
Where do yo do it at?

V8 you have to pull out distributer and oil pump drive rod and install a priming rod on a drill. Then reinstall oil pump drive and distributer and hope to get the timing set right. Not sure how to do a slant six but it is probably similar.

I recommend you just turn over the engine without starting it till you get some oil pressure you doing about the same thing in my opinion maybe better its forcing oil through the motor and not just priming the pump. I'm assuming this is just a old engine not some fresh rebuild.

Edit:
Sorry didn't notice it was posted in the slant 6 section

Pull the plugs and squirt some WD40 or even tranny fluid down the cylinders and let it sit for a while to help free up a stuck ring and lubricate the cylinder walls.

On a slant you cant like you do on a V8. My suggestion is to pour a quart of oil over the valve train (take off the valve cover). Dont worry you wont end up with oil everywhere. And as suggested before remove the plugs and put some trans fluid or light oil/penetrant down the holes.
Frank

No one mentioned do not pour trans fluid and turn over without leaving plugs out first. If plugs are installed fluid doesnt compress and rod damage could result.

What is the best way to prime the oil pump on a SL6. The engine was tested in a oil bath so it's not dry. Is there such a thing as a oil priming tool for a SL6? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have a small tank, in which I put about 4qts of oil. Then connect a line from the tank to the oil pressure switch port on the oil pump. I pour 1 qt of oil over the valve train, then pressurize the tank with shop air at about 30 psi. There is a valve at the tank, so I can shut off the tank, and fire the motor right away, with out taking the time to disconnect anything.

Oil Pump instructions say to submerge the pump in oil and turn the gear of roter head with your hand. Think that will work?

If the pump is not on the engine, that will work. But I usually put a small amount of Vasoline in a new pump, before installing it. That way, if it is some time before starting the engine, it will still be primed.

Exactly where do you put the vaseline? Is this before submerging it in oil or can it be done afterwards? Thanks!

If you look at the part of the pump, that goes against the engine, there will be a opening, where you can see the gear lobes. Just put a little vasoline in there, as you turn the pump. You don't need to pack it full. Just want the vasoline to lube the rotors, and seal them to get the oil flowing quicker. I also put a little assembly lube on the drive gear teeth, so they don't have a dry start. I don't use oil, when I do this.

-
Back