Pin size issue

-

mhuppertz

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of 440 Six Pack rods that are bushed for .99" pins. I hadn't noticed that fact before I paid for them (ebay) and my KB Hyperutectic's use the standard pin size of 1.09". :eek:ops:So, I guess I can drill out the bushings (sic), get new pistons (also sic) or sell the rods (triple sick).
Advice?

Just drift press the bushing out...probably a 1.09 OD anyway.

I would think you could have them reamed to the proper size at an automotive machine shop.

I'd sell them. The lighter LY rod is jus as strong and will have the 1.09 pin you need. No need to waste money on those things.

LY rods are definitely not as strong. The reason mother went to a Hemi style rod for the Six Pack was the 1969.5 440 Six Pack engines were having a lot of warranty claims for broken rods. I had a 1968 Hemi Road Runner and ran the factory rods at 650HP and 7,500 RPM without issue.
I am thinking about having the rod small ends drilled oversize and then bushed to the pin size. The machinist is a friend and will help me out, but if it looks cost prohibitive then I will have to run press fit (which I really don't want to) or save up for either h-beams or different pistons. Can't take these back because I have had them ten years.

That's only true in the beam area. Unfortunately the rod bolt area of the rods are where the majority fail. Hemi rods use a larger big end and bolt package. The LY and six pac rods share the same design on the big end... The six pac are NO stronger at the weakest point, and a lot heavier because of the larger beam.

That's only true in the beam area. Unfortunately the rod bolt area of the rods are where the majority fail. Hemi rods use a larger big end and bolt package. The LY and six pac rods share the same design on the big end... The six pac are NO stronger at the weakest point, and a lot heavier because of the larger beam.

X2

no need for those big heavy rods and then no need for external balancing but to the original question phista is probably correct and then just have them pressed on if that dont work because something you didnt know about the machine shop can help you out

-
Back