Pinewood.....derby Time......got Wood?

-

momoparman

MOISMYHOME
Reaction score
I will start this year...we race Jan 31st in 2 classes.....Boy Scouts.
And family class....we are entering 5 cars this year. One in scout class and 4 in family class.

Here are the first 3 under construction with 2 more to come.

Candy red one is mine...yes it's a 32 F#$d RPU.... but look at the sweet MOD TOP inspired lid. 12 coats of paint on already..Candy red over clear heavy metal flake over white base.....with real wood bed and AL pipes.

White....son racer...Viper 2... just under construction with base coat white and black to follow....ending up with a gold over lace with green candy apple top coat....snake skin finish. We got 5th over all last year with a bum axle so we are shooting for better.

Slant six blue van is daughter #2....magic bus??? She is a reincarnated Hippy. Still under constructio with many flowers and gems to follow no doubt.....Hey Jimmy, need a ride?

The other 2 are in various stages of construction and pics will follow.

Keep up.

HI MOM and DAD!.....I would have sent you these but my cr#py new e-mail won't let me send my own pics.

I Love you and Merry Christmas.

Vince

100_2943w.jpg

100_2960w.jpg

100_2961w.jpg

100_2963w.jpg

Here's a couple i built. I have about 40 hours into each one. Its a combination of PPG and House of Kolor paint. That's all paint, no stickers. I was going for looks, and not so much performance, but they didn't place bad either.

IMG_1414_detail.jpg

IMG_1415_detail.jpg

Vince,
Very cool, but why are you calling me MOM and DAD?=P~
I love you too, man...:cheers:
C

Sweet airbrush work....I wish I could do that....I guess I could buy one and learn.

MOM and DAD comment.....ha ha ha..I had to send them an e-mail with this link because my new cr@py e-mail wont let me attach my pics for some reason.

So I am posting personals on here...to my parents, so they can see what we are working on.

Hi again mom and dad.

Mop

P.S. Keep the pics coming. Much love to all.

I do it with my son every year although they do not do a family class. Taht would really be cool because you can tell which ones the kids had very little if any to do with in the biuld. I insist that Josh does it all himself form desigh to the finished product. I am there to give him pionters and will take it in to woork to weigh it on the postal scale so it is close when it is race time. They do not lookas professional as what has been posted but he always come up with a unique idea. Last year it was Hary Potters broom stick. I will have to dig up some pictures later.

Brings back memories of my favorite Cub Scout pack meetings. I won "Most Beautiful" twice. We never had a family class in our pack, but the year I didn't win the beauty contest, I beat my brother.

Next door neighbor kid asked for help while I was home from college one winter. We created a pinewood replica of Al Unser's Johnny Lightning Indy car. He finished 3rd in his pack, as I recall, and won "Most Beautiful", too. That was my last shot at the Pinewoods as my two kids were daughters. Enjoy these times!

Enjoy Enjoy.....We got my wife's done in time for Christmas....here you go.

A little deuce coupe....We are almost done with the magic bus...my daughter painted it already and I need to install the wheels for her.

Keep posted.

100_2971w.jpg

Wow you guys get to use cooler pinewood wheels than I ever did.
Mine were always plain black with a "wire wheel" kinda thing styled into them.

I built some pretty sweet cars back in my pinewood derby days with the help of my father and grandfather.
I'll have to post up some pics, I've got all of them proudly displayed.

Yeah......The wheels you see are not OFFICIAL BSA pine wood derby wheels as manufactured by Grant...They must have the corner on the market.

My sons is legal....made with the Grant Kit as required.

The Magic Bus was made with the same Grant kit so he could race it if his Viper burst into flames during tech inspection.

The wife's coupe was made with the Pinecar Kit as manufactured by Woodland Scenics as are the Zbracer and my 32 RPU. The mag wheels come in this kit. They are just like the Grant wire spoke wheels in dimension and weight.

I don't know why you cant use this kit as everything else in it is identical.

Oh well the family class isn't as picky about things like that. 5oz max, no more than 7" long and don't change the stock wheel base and your good to go.

Man that was an epic response........:read2:

100_2975w.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember that from when I was younger. Won 1st place one year.

The secret is to make the front axle at a slight angle so the car sits on the two back wheels and the front drivers wheel. The back axle should be level. Otherwise you can't make them run 100% straight. Oh, and lots of graphite grease!!

You got it....3 wheels touching eliminates 1/4th of the drag.
I have a top secret liquid graphite this year....it's base is a slightly sticky film impregnated with the graphite. It stay's on the axles longer...works sweet.

I also cross drilled the wheels where the axle slides through...that way you can lube the wheels while they are on the car and get the axle soaked in the stuff. Then we sand and polished the axles as they have flash on them then align the whole thing with a template..just like NECKCAR

We got 5th last year....we are shooting for a top 3 this year.

I remember doing this back in the scouts. My car sucked but then again I was the only one to build it by myself when i was around 7 years old. Everyone else had their dads build theirs and the dads had more fun then the kids haha. Nice job on yours.

Yes,

I am trying to keep my involvement to a minimum on my sons car.

I helped him cut it out on the band saw and showed him how to use the belt sander, files/sandpaper then I let him shoot the paint...at least the base coats.

I am handling clear coats errrrr ruining his paint job by not waiting for the base coats to dry (sorry son) and we both assemble the final product.

I am hoping next year he will have enough experience that he can do his car all by himself.....allowing me more time to work on mine:)

Mop

-
Back