Pinging just off idle when taking off

-

dusty1

Reaction score
I have just put together a 426 with an Eddie intake and 2 afb 600s. 284 484 cam, alum heads, and msd. Just now got it running and when I give it the smallest amount of gas it rattles like heck. If I work past it to get more carb involved it seems to do ok. Comp is a guess but i would think 10 or 11 - 1. Do I need to try 100 oct from the airport, I have played with the timing and it still rattles just off idle. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your vacuum advance is coming in too early, try rotating the screw 3 turns counter-clockwise.

Some issues just found. Backed off the timing a little and 5 gallons of air craft 100 low lead, the pinging stopped. Still running rough, pulled plugs and found 2 plugs had the ground strap closed on them. Index plugs is the next step. I feel horses just around the corner. Will update after new and indexed plugs. Thanks for the interest and suggestions.

Get your timing set before you go using race gas, your engine should run fine on 91 pump premium with that cam, compression, and aluminum heads

sometimes afb's will go a little lean at this point. maybe try a ligther metering rod spring. I've fixed that problem before but never on a dual quad. But i doubt your vaccum advance is coming in that early. Just a suggestion, if you have the springs its a quick n easy job.

hey dusty, I just reread my post. I told you wrong you'd need a heavier metering rod spring to fight the vacum and make your mixture richer sooner. Sorry pal, guess i got my carters and holleys confused

-
Back