pinion depth

-

john-9

Reaction score
just how accurate are the pinion depth checking distances inscribed on aftermarket gears (Chrysler8-3/4 , Ford 9 inch etc.) -- seems with setting the depth using pinion depth setting tools available gear patterns seem to be off a bit -- compared to old school method of shim changes till you get the best gear pattern available.
any have the same experience when setting up gears,
thanks in advance

just how accurate are the pinion depth checking distances inscribed on aftermarket gears (Chrysler8-3/4 , Ford 9 inch etc.) -- seems with setting the depth using pinion depth setting tools available gear patterns seem to be off a bit -- compared to old school method of shim changes till you get the best gear pattern available.
any have the same experience when setting up gears,
thanks in advance

I`m setting up my first 8 3/4 and am finding out most of the "good" builders don`t mess w/the tools as they have a starting point on the shims based on the case and go from there. Dr Diff even told me it takes almost as long to set up the tools as it does to just go for it and doesn`t even use em anymore...............

I remeber being told during my studies that the shim for setting pinion depth stays with the axle / 3rd member casing & is always used as a starting point when changing ring & pinion. I have used this method every time I have set up an axle & rarely have had to add or subtract shims.

The pinion depth numbers inscribed on the end of pinion gears will get you close, but Almost all the time I have to add or subtract to get the pattern to my liking. Same as changing the ratio in a rear that already has gears. If you start with the shim behind the old pinion bearing, it will get you close.

Sometimes it can be difficult if you don't have a shim to start with, different gear ratios and manufactures can make a difference. I have done ones with .030 shims and last one i set up with a 5.13 gear took .78 shim to get it right.

I have always used the shims that came from the old pinion. Only once did I have to get a different shim for an odd brand of 4.88s in a 742 case.

..........In all my years I have never had any that the original shim was dead on when swapping gears............kim..........

-
Back