pinion snubber alternatives??

-

jonnydart440

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be in drivtrain or suspension but here's what I'm dealing with. I have an adjustable pinion snubber, I don't drag race, I drive my car almost every weekend. I got sick of hearing the snubber pound the floor especially with the kids in the back seat so I removed it completely. Now I can only imagine how much twist my diff is doing. My question is, what are my options? Do I buy a $50 set of traction bars off summit? Is that stupid? Are those old school or not as effective as a pinion snubber? Is there another option?? Oh and BTW, yes!...I do tend to get on this thing occasionally and burn tire so I'm thinking I definitely need to keep that diff from twisting out of the car.

No need for snubber unless you're racing. Even then they are not necessary with the right springs. Why would you want one on the street anyway? ...and traction bars are stupid on a Mopar. If your springs twist that badly, they probably need replacing.

You could cut down the adjustable snubber so it's further away (bottom of the removable part & top of the main body, but leaving 1-2 holes to hold the pin), or get an OEM plate, remove the rubber and drill/bolt on a longer rubber bumper, like what's found on traction bars. Preferably out of polyurathane. That can be trimmed down a bit with a hacksaw as well, if needed.

While these options will keep it further away and not hit as often under normal driving, it will also reduce the effectiveness because it has further to move before it does make contact to help traction under acceleration. There will be mixed feelings/opinions on traction bars.

I've got old school traction bars on mine for now. Kind of like the look, and since I have a 9" rear, can't use the snubber anyway. I'll be switching them out for Calvert springs and Cal-Tracs when we finish the new engine.

The 9" came with a "snubber" in some apps,,

If you use traction bars,, the people in the know, will laugh.. and the rest will think it's a chebbie.. jmo

I put the $50 Summit slapper bars on my '68. I had to cut the back bracket and weld it up to get the correct pinion to front spring eye adjustment. I also painted them satin black so they are harder to see. These are on a pair of driver side Super Stock Springs that still wrapped when it hit 2nd with the 727 and 3.23's.

They dramatically improved my out of the hole hook-up and overall launch. Plus, you can barely see them.

Clamp the front spring section.

Want more bite, get new u bolts, centering pins, add leaves cut at the back section, just past the perch where you are only using the front section.
Put them in and clamp them using 2 clamps per side.

Give me a Message and I will send you my stock snubber in trade for your adjustable. Even swap each pays postage.

The 9" came with a "snubber" in some apps,,

If you use traction bars,, the people in the know, will laugh.. and the rest will think it's a chebbie.. jmo
Shelby part, and quite pricey if you can find them. I located some repro stuff a while back, but never got a call back from the company. Assume they went out of business. When you have no choice, you do what you have to do. I kind of dig the 70's vibe they give.

-
Back