Pinion Snubber Question

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I posted a pinion snubber for sale here at FABO, it is one that I had on my 68 Barracuda, 8.75 rear end,,,It is the clean black painted snubber.
A potential buyer asked if it was for an A body,,
I have another 8.75 diff that has a snubber on it, so I compared the two.
See photo.
The one I have for sale is longer in the span between the mounting bolt holes and the center of the rubber bumper.

Why is that? Are pinion snubbers chassis specific, A, B ,C body?

04947BCF-C7FA-4414-A575-EEEB74E5F239.jpeg

I posted a pinion snubber for sale here at FABO, it is one that I had on my 68 Barracuda, 8.75 rear end,,,It is the clean black painted snubber.
See photo.
The one I have for sale is longer in the span between the mounting bolt holes and the center of the rubber bumper.

View attachment 1715659389

I didn't know that, but Dr Diff, Trublu (spelling) or someone else on here will probably know.

I believe the shorter snubber is for an 8 1/4 rear axle, I could be wrong. As far as I've observed, the 8 3/4 snubbers are interchangeable for the different bodies, again I could be wrong.

I believe the shorter snubber is for an 8 1/4 rear axle, I could be wrong. As far as I've observed, the 8 3/4 snubbers are interchangeable for the different bodies, again I could be wrong.

both snubbers in the photo came off of 8.75 center sections,, but certainly parts can get swapped around over time, I sent an email with the photo to Dr Diff.

I have a snubber with the narrower distance between holes from a 7 1/4 rear end A body.

They will fit any case and any body style. The snubber bolts on in a slightly different spot because of the pinion size. Kim

See photo.

View attachment 1715659389

received the following response from Dr Diff

Hi John,

For the most part, snubbers are year (not body style) specific. The snubber on the left is the '65-'67 A/B/C body type. The snubber on the right came from an A-100 van, however. It will probably work.

Cass

I have 2 snubbers. One I bought and was td it was A body. Onecsme on an E body rear. The E body was longer. A body was like your 5 3/4"

I would say that the length will determine where it will hit the body and might make a difference.

I have 2 snubbers. One I bought and was td it was A body. Onecsme on an E body rear. The E body was longer. A body was like your 5 3/4"

I would say that the length will determine where it will hit the body and might make a difference.

the snubbers work by contacting the car under body as the differential pivots up when the car accelerates. Of these two the length difference is 3/4 of an inch, into a hard piece of rubber. The longer snubber will make contact first, as it will have a greater rate of change for the same amount of axel rotation, but with the difference in length being such a small percentage of the overall length, I don't see much between these two.

-
Back