pinon angle

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..what are your measurements for transmission , driveshaft & rear axle pinion angle?
probably most aren't too concerned about this but what is correct,trans and rear pinion equal and opposite?

Thatssssssssssssss a tough Question Al,be surprised you get an answer.I think Strockerscamp may not even know.

It depends on what you are doing. Protractor is needed. What suspension is there makes a difference; stock with bumper, SS springs, ladders, 4 link.

All different.

On a street car try to get the pinion angle and transmission angles slightly offset. If the u-joints directly oppose each other it can cause vibration. You can use shims under the tranny mount and/or pinion angle shims under the leaf springs to achieve a good pinion angle setup. Search the web for better explanation than mine.

..just trying to wrap my head around how they affect each other.
ie... trans and rear pinion equal and opposite or should they be set to align when accelerating (rear wrap a degree or two)?
maybe i have too much time on my hands and should get a full time job!

It depends on what you are doing. Protractor is needed. What suspension is there makes a difference; stock with bumper, SS springs, ladders, 4 link.

All different.

This^^^^^^^

That's why the suspension manual only gives the spec for "nose down" in relation to the drive shaft. Because if you get that angle right and the spring perches are right, the rest of it falls into place.....at least on a Mopar. Suspension manual says 5-7* for a race car and 3-5* for a street car. I forget what the spec for the spring perches is, but it's all in the suspension manual. Mancini sells copies for 10 bucks. Get you one.

-
Back