Pistol-Grip boot in an A-Body.

-

pettybludart

Reaction score
Just thought I,d share my experience with having a B-body pistol-grip shifter in an A-body(73 Dart Sport 340)

O.K I bought the B-body shifter and installed it with the A-body boot(round hole)not good,as it tore bad(see pic).
So with info from a member lastyear(forgot who?)I finally ordered the correct boot for the shifter from Brewers.
This is a 1969 B-body,non console shifter boot,it,s oval at the bootom with a rectangular opening at the top for the rectangle shifter.
The base is a bit smaller than the A-body boot,but it fit under the chrome ring with no problems.Just thought I,d share this for anybody thinking on installing a Pistol-grip shifter in their A-body.Cheers!:cheers::burnout:

View attachment car 029.jpg

View attachment car 030.jpg

View attachment car 032.jpg

View attachment car 036.jpg

View attachment car 037.jpg

View attachment car 038.jpg

Good to know. I need a proper boot for mine and my brothers. He uses the same shifter as you. I used a e-body shifter. Just had to cut and weld the piece the shifter bolts too to get the right position for the handle.

Attachments

• P7110053.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,502
Good info Scott, looks like the boot with the rectangular hole has a bigger top than the one with the round hole??

Awesome, I was actually just looking for a boot for the pistol grip in my dart, i was thinking about ordering the same one from Brewers. I was wondering if it would work with the a body trim ring, thanks for the info!

I thought someone here was able to stretch the round hole boot over the square pistol grip? Maybe a new boot only?

I thought someone here was able to stretch the round hole boot over the square pistol grip? Maybe a new boot only?
I did stretch the old(round holed boot)over the square pistol-grip shifter 2 yrs ago.I guess over time it has torn,this is why I got the new(rectangle holed)B-body boot.Works and looks great!

I think you must mean 69 B body (lower) shifter boot WITH console??...
As those shifters are rectangle going into the shifter and up to where they go through the boot. (before the dogleg over)
NON console cars use a round hole to match the round shifter....

1970 B bodies all used the rectangle shifter boot hole for pistol grip shifters.

1971 B and E bodies used the square base shifter boot.

69 B body shifter With console = oval base boot with rectangle hole...:blob:

Attachments

• shifter_4_sale.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,369
.....round 69 B body non console shifter and round hole boot (Hemi Charger RT)....

Attachments

• round B body non.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,363
Hello All,

I got my pistol grip shifter today. I pulled the boot up onmy old shifter and it appears the old shifter is held in by fixed pins. How do I install the shifter?

Please advise.

You can't you need a Hurst bolt on bottom shfter.
Check Brewer's for what you need.

I just got the same handle and it is great but I have the rectangular boot

Attachments

• IM001593.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,303
I just got the same handle and it is great but I have the rectangular boot

How far is the throw between 1st and 2nd?

I rembember the last duster I had a stock E-body pistol and it was like 4"

Looks like my old shifter mechanism and shifter are fixed. Guess I'll need a new mechanism. Geezzzzz.

My hurst shifter from a truck has the pins. Would not be that hard to drill them out. Hole spacing is 7/8" on mine, bolt on type are 1" (I think) so that would make it a little harder but "doable". I would make a template with 1" spacing, drill one hole to size and bolt in on, drill the other...

B dody shifter in a a body car....

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,234
  • huu-5388580_m.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,108
hello there, somone sent me a link of a company that does a A bod pistol grip to work with the original centre consol,they incorporate a dog leg bracket that bolts between hurst and pistol grip, any one tell me who they are? much appreciate, nathan.

-
Back