Piston Choice

-

Toluene56

Reaction score
Hey there people. I had a question about some KB190 pistons. I am planning on installing a set in my 360 .040, I was interested to know if there needs to be any machine work done to the pistons or the heads for them to work properly? Being a quench style and all.

Or would it be easier to use a set of kb107's and replace my 596 heads with RHS's later on? I would think the kb107's would be a good overall choice if I plan on swapping to a closed chamber head later.

There are also a few new cams I am looking into like:
Lunati 60403
Comp PP280H
PP284H

the car:
73 dart
904 3000 stall
8 3/4 - 3.73 - 3.91 gears (haven't decided yet)
596 are just cleaned up a bit and worked the bowls a little in my garage, eliminated the exhaust bump. No flow numbers.
Crosswind intake
750 edelbrock which will eventually get replaced with a new holley.

Give me your thoughts. Thanks.

The 190's are domed right? That would leave you with a open head chamber only choice. As far as I know, that would be stock heads, X,J,I,O, ETC.... or W2 heads.
Of course, you could check to see what your mahine man would charge you to wack the dome off.

I have run the 107 piston many times. A closed chambered head like an edelbrock basicly gets you a 10.5-1 to 11-1 engine. The spread can be larger due to where the piston sits exactly and head gasket thickness. >039 should be just fine on many fronts.

On the cam, I think he Lunati will make he best over all and top power.
The Purple Plus is justy comps version of the MP purple. I do not know how streetable or better in the street it is over the OE Purple.
Th OE Purple cams are a little cranky down low. They seem to like a lot of compression fo there respective duration. There a great "Purpose" cam, not so much on street. But power they will make.

I was thinking to make the most of what I have with new pistons.. Don't want to shell out 1000+ for heads when mine work fine. But I would like 10:1 comp. I just don't know of the 190's will need to be modified with stock J heads. I figured they would be ok, i'm not zero decking or anything so there should be plenty of room.

But I would like to see if anyone else has done it.

So I would be able to run kb190 s with the j heads and a .039 head gasket and still be good with clearance but with a much better quench. Heads are still 1.88/1.60

So I would be able to run kb190 s with the j heads and a .039 head gasket and still be good with clearance but with a much better quench. Heads are still 1.88/1.60

Yes, there designed for an open chamber like the Js, I ran them in a .060" 360, had a XE284H cam, RPM intake, 750dp, compression was around 10.3/10.4, It was a torquey ****, ran on pump premium too.

Nicccccccce thank you!

aah heh heh heh
aah huh huh huh
Bad scamp ... bad!

The addition of a 2.02 is a top end power adder. While the dyno will show a gian in power, it will take more gear ad converter to show it over a 1.88 when getting off the line.

A 1.88 head ported is great for the street when useing numericly low gears. If your running around the streets, most set up's of hot rod cars are like 3.90's - 4.10 gears. This is about where most guy's call it quits on going higher on gear ratio. With a 27 inch-ish tire, the 1.88 will be really nice on the street.

-
Back