Piston coatings??

-
Dry film lubricants and other internal engine coatings can be applied with an air brush and cured in a toaster oven. :-D

My powder supplier has them available. Call me for details / pricing ... I'm swamped with cosmetic work but can easily hook you up with the materials to do it yourself.

Dry film lubricants and other internal engine coatings can be applied with an air brush and cured in a toaster oven. :-D

My powder supplier has them available. Call me for details / pricing ... I'm swamped with cosmetic work but can easily hook you up with the materials to do it yourself.

Not doing it, but just curious here, if you coated some pistons how hot would you get the oven to bake the coating on???

I don't know, I've never done it or really checked into the details. I just know my powder supplier has the materials available and that it's supposed to be really easy to do.

Great! I will give you a ringy dingy as soon as my pistons arrive.

My brother in-law is a Metalurgist and does alot of the Nations largest heat treating here in Houston. They have some HUGE ovens! He said he would cook all my coatings for me.

do they make a difference?

Yeah. They change the diameter of the piston. As a result, you need to coat first, then have the machine shop measure each piston and bore accordingly.

Yeah. They change the diameter of the piston. As a result, you need to coat first, then have the machine shop measure each piston and bore accordingly.

They said that it will need no change in bore size. Stated .0002 thick???
Idunno:cheers:

Actually the ones that do the most for the least are the thermal barrier for the crown. The anti-friction coatings are only a few mils thick when done properly, and they will come off in use. They are mostly used in alcohol because of it's tendency to reduce oil's protection during use. Least that's what I know from the limited exposure I've had. Thermal cot the tops, the bottoms, the chambers, and the chamber sides of the valve heads and you go a long way to getting more power with no down side but the initial cost. Also, you have to be certain the surfaces of the materials are surgically clean and oil free or it doesnt bond right. The shop I used to work at did a lot with coatings for turbo/alcohol and import turbo engines.

It also isn't as easy as just airbrushing on a coating and baking it in your toaster oven.

Each type of coating has its specific application requirements. Every part has to be media blasted before coating-and different coatings call for different blasting media. Also, some parts need to be heated prior to coating. Then each type of coating has its own temp range and length of time in the oven before it is finished.

The pistons, for instance, can have up to three types of coatings. Anti-friction for the skirts, thermal barrier for the dome, and oil dispersant for the underside. It's not as easy as it sounds. I have watched them prep and coat the parts at the machine shop, and it is fascinating, but a lengthy process.

It also isn't as easy as just airbrushing on a coating and baking it in your toaster oven.

Each type of coating has its specific application requirements. Every part has to be media blasted before coating-and different coatings call for different blasting media. Also, some parts need to be heated prior to coating. Then each type of coating has its own temp range and length of time in the oven before it is finished.

The pistons, for instance, can have up to three types of coatings. Anti-friction for the skirts, thermal barrier for the dome, and oil dispersant for the underside. It's not as easy as it sounds. I have watched them prep and coat the parts at the machine shop, and it is fascinating, but a lengthy process.

Yeah,
I will be using it on the top of the piston only. It is said that this coating will reduce detonation so this will benifit my turbo build.

-
Back