Piston Ring Indexing

-

ElephantKiller

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I installed my pistons this last weekend and I got to thinking about it and I don't think I remembered to index my compression rings (locate the ring gaps). Am I over a barrel or can I let it go? I am still at a point that I can take the pistons out, but I would rather not. Thoughts?

If you are at a point that you could still take out the pistons and check the rings then I would. If the ring gaps are lined up, it might use a little more oil but if the ring gaps are on the thrust side of the bore it could put a gouge or wear spot in the bore. Something to think about.

Chuck

I am with '340' on this. Yes check it. Last thing you want to do is build a new motor with 80,000 miles on it. That is what you would have with ALL that blow by. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. Terry.

Redo it while it's easy. It'll be 100x more difficult once the engine is in the car and you're not happy with it. A little work now, or a lot more work later!

Chuck

Well gents, I took your advice. I pulled each of the pistons and indexed the gaps to opposite sides of the pistons, over the wrist pins. There were a few with the gaps on the thrust side of the piston. Thanks for pushing me the way I needed to go and keeping me vigilant. The wife even helped out. I was trying to make some "together time" brownie points and get something done on the Duster at the same time. She even said that she wouldn't mind me building her a Duster or Demon, as long as it was pink. This may not have ended up that bad after all.

-
Back