Piston rings

-

Buschi340

Reaction score
hm, probably a stupid question but ...
6.1 engine, stock pistons, cylinders honed. New rings standard size. Piston ring gaps. Top rings are at Max tolerance with 0.35/0.4 mm. Second rings are at max allowed size with average 0.7mm.
Leave it with a note for next time changing or are there oversize rings on the market???
Engine is stock but carbed if that matters with approx 40 runs on the strip during a year ( next year ) ....

leave it with a note for next time. where are u getting the max numbers? .4mm =.016" which is perfect

Thanks. I am just wondering that the second ring is 0.1 to 0.2mm more out of tolerance compared to the first / top ring. Rings are new. Shouldn’t it be an equal amount?
Max gap is top ring 0.45, sec ring 0.75
Maybe I am a bit to sensitive ....

Marco, the max numbers are from the Service Manual which was online month or years ago... will make a Picture of this particular page with my cell phone ...

Marco, the max numbers are from the Service Manual which was online month or years ago... will make a Picture of this particular page with my cell phone ...

689599D7-D47B-4492-A4A5-50E7D17BA193.jpeg

Hope it’s understandable.
Btw. Cyl size is 103mm in the manual. Mine are all 102.985 in average. in the middle measured.

Last edited:
Don't think ring gap is all that critical as long as its not too tight. Once bought a fixer upper 47 plym. coupe with a 400 in it. When I tore the engine down due to low oil press. found all rings had at least .125 in. gap at the bottom of the bore.
Also gaps perfectly lined up to the front of the car. Must have been wrong rings, it still started and ran OK.

-
Back