Piston selection

-

Reaction score
I pulled out the motor last weekend she was using a lot of oil . After some measuring i found i will have to bore the 340 to .040. What pistons and rings do FABO members recommend for a good stout street /strip motor. Any input would be awesome.

Thanks for the input Lead69 I was looking at the kb pistons as well . Anybody else have any input.

I'd rather the KB-107's for a bit less compresion for a street engine. They'll come up to a zero deck height while giving up a ratio of 9.8-1 with an open chambered head and .039 thick gasket.

Some machining may be required due to varying deck heights from the factory. I myself didn't need to deck the engine block.

KB243 hyper for 340 10.5 factory replacements that are WAY LIGHTER than the original factory ones @ around 575 grams compared to 740+grams.

I run them in my .030 340 with pump gas no problems.

Use nitrous all you want within the guide lines of their recommendation for ring gap and HP limits.

the KBs a rea good way to go for a mixed duty build. But, pay attention to details if you want to run a closed chamber head. When they are in at zero deck, they will protrude .018" out of the block due to the design. (Identical to the older TRW/Speed Pro designs) So you want to make sure you either leave the deck tall, or mill the piston down to get a true zero deck and set your quench with a closed chamber head. If you run iron, don't sweat it. For a step up, I'd run Diamonds, but because you need .040 over, the usual Diamonds/Ross will be a special order and a bit more cash. Anything over .030 over in the higher end pistons ends up being a custom piston with the associated charges.

Thats great input guys . I am running X- heads i CCd one head today and got a reading of 72 cc after doing the math looks like the compression would be around 9.8:1 using kb243 pistons. That was using a .038 gasket.
thanks for all the reply's keep them coming it's good to see what others are doing

-
Back